Should Rebirth support DirectX 11/64 bit?

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Should Rebirth support DirectX 11/64 bit?

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

X Rebirth still would be an excellent 2013 PC space simulation game, yet it should have been released a year ago, but the more it delays the more it loses this excellence and faces new challenges like Star Citizen.

Still, by the time a game like Star Citizen has been released, Egosoft should have created another game better than Rebirth itself and/or upgraded the current Rebirth Engine. The real challenge now is time. Smile

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Ill will look into Star Citizen more; although before committing myself I would like to play the game for abit and see how I get on. I know the site rebirth site was an exception, but so far egosoft have released good games.

I did find it odd that first picture (BarrenEarth posted), looked very similar to that of the Rebirth ship. Okay, its a little different but the basic ship design looks very familiar (ie. the hanger and the cockpit).

@BarrenEarth that city scene you posted, is that from Star Citizen?

---

With Rebirth, do you feel they need to get the release out this year? or do you think it been okay for next?

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Star Citizen by Chris Roberts should be released Q4 2014, Official Website, there you can download a complete trailer in HD, Roberts said he is back again!! since Freelancer 10 years ago Smile

Its true, I think, that this game could be (as it seems so far) a real challenger to Rebirth, but if Rebirth is released 2013 then there is at least one year difference between the two games.

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
jaml

jaml avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 11 years ago.

Ouch :P
I wasn't my intention to say that Rebirth will be a bad game. I think it will be at last "a good game". The problem is that others will not wait for Egosoft. IMO Ego don't have much more time left. Yoda said: "Do or do not, There is no try" - I find his words adequate for Egosoft's Rebirth current situation. They should announce specific release date NOW. If You ask "why?", just look at all of us here. I think ppl get tired of waiting. And for sure we deserve to know how much more we need to wait for X:Rb.
For a long time Egosoft had a bit of monopoly for games like X series. There was no serious opponent for them. Now things changed. And they need to get the release out as soon as it is possible.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me...
jaml

jaml avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

@Roguey:
Yes, this city scene is from SC, its Terra.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me...
Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I wasn't my intention to say that Rebirth will be a bad game. I think it will be at last "a good game".

I know that if the graphics of Star Citizen is higher than that of Rebirth, and I'm not saying so, then the overall rating of SC (I think) will never be higher than Rebirth. Wink

jaml

jaml avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I know that if the graphics of Star Citizen is higher than that of Rebirth, and I'm not saying so, then the overall rating of SC (I think) will never be higher than Rebirth.

I can't agree to that.
But we need to wait...

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Rebirth was a game that would have been perfect in 2012... 2013 it would be good to get it in before this August's release of the SC Beta but by 2014 they will be so far behind that some gamers that only buy one or two full priced titles will purchase elsewhere.

I do agree that some of the ships look like ones from the X series... too bad Chris Roberts designed them all in the 90's. And Egosoft is worried about someone copying them? LOL

And Raptor... I can promise you that Rebirth will never get a credible review above 8/10. I would put money on it.

SC on the other hand I can promise you won't get a credible review under 7/10. I would put money on that too.

Edit: FYI, SC is ahead of schedule and they have added dozens of features that they never thought they would have funding for. The game is going to be huge and will be just as perfect as Wing Commander IV.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I mean Rebirth Engine including its updates considering the year difference or so between the two games (if that's true), and I didn't say SC will be less but not higher than Rebirth. Smile However, as you said jaml, we need to wait then compare later. Wink

And hey BarrenEarth..., how could you get my money or I get yours (you said: I would put money...) if I'm wrong or right? Wink ...no just kidding Smile but I don't put money on anything Smile

jaml

jaml avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I think You are right BarrenEarth.
But there is much more about SC. Chris Roberts talk about 2 huge (in game) advantages:

FULLY DYNAMIC UNIVERSE (constantly updated - weekly or bi-weekly) If they manage to add good updates once a month it will be awesome !! And here Egosoft Update policy loose! He said they will add new everything... sectors, ships and more... and another briliant idea: If any player discover this newly added sector, it can be named after that player! (I think there will be much more to it) This will keep ppl close to the SC universe - truly loayal fans.

MULTIPLAYER + MODDING. Chris said the multiplayer mode will be very core of SC. So players can not anoy about AI (at last not in the scale of XU) You can fly with your friends, talk to them, make a teams etc... It's more than HUGE bonus, it's totaly new POV! This will add more strategic possibilities, chalenge... it's like WOW!
Modding with MODDING APPROVAL. If some ships, weapon etc.. is designed really good, it will be approved and added to central core game. This is another big bonus, which is not available for XU.

I'm not trying to say that Rebirth is bad. But if Chris Richard will achive all of his ideas (and knowing him, he will!) Egosoft will be forced to rethink / rebuild... AND THEY WILL NEED TO START TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT WHAT THE PLAYERS HAVE TO SAY!!! Becouse now I have feeling that they ... on us. Sad, but true.

jaml

jaml avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I'm sure that Rebirth engine will be updated! And its good thing!!! But I dont think that CryEngine 3 in which SC is build on will not be updated. And for today CryEnging 3 is far more advanced that Egosoft's engine for Rebirth. Let's not forget that CryEngine is one of the best now, and its constantly updated Smile So for TODAY Egosoft stands on lost position. I really hope that Ego will manage to rebuild and update. It will be like life or death for them (and for us too).

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

CRE is also tested and tried on millions of PCs... Egosoft will be releasing a game and graphics engine that is virgin to the world... look at the problems we had with Reunion. Oh god that sucked.

Also yes, there is no end game, there is no challenge at a certain point with X games. And if Chris Roberts makes a semi-online game (Like Rebirth will be with steam) but include weekly or monthly changes to the universe (After all it is set in the middle of a war) then Rebirth will look like an amateur piece of garbage.

Egosoft has been lucky in that since Freespace 2 there has been no real space sims made that cut the mustard... considering Chris is the one who made Freespace 2... Egosoft is in deep shit.

jaml

jaml avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Yeep. Exactly my point! Soon we can have similar BUG attack like in early days of Reunion.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Who is it... who is the one that said "I use XP Anyways"???

What are you playing Oregon Trail on that thing?! LOL

Just kidding folks.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

You know not everyone could buy newer hardware/software, but you're kidding right. I also tried to vote 'Dont care' after I voted for DX11/64-bit but the new brilliant poll-system didn't accept my 2nd vote, it said you already voted, sir. Wink just kidding Smile

« 1 2 3 4 »

You need to log-in to post here.