Should Rebirth support DirectX 11/64 bit?

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Should Rebirth support DirectX 11/64 bit?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

It sounds like Star-Citizen is something I really need to look into, although if its due for a Q4 2014 release then its not any-time soon. Surely by then.... Rebirth should be out? If it is - it may be the next game after Rebirth to support. I cant really see ego releasing another game anywhere near then, and rebirth should of came out by then?...

I do wonder if Rebirth will be ego's last game - hopefully not. I do agree that Rebirth would of been great as a 2012 release (or before), not 2013/14 (dx9/32bit is getting too old). I wonder what money they have to fund it (maybe this is the reason for the slow development), surely cant be much now? Do ego have share-holders etc.?

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Egosoft does not have shareholders... they actually have a weird system of private equity and a lot of investment from private firms. Koch Media aka Deep Silver has shareholders.

November 2014 is Chris Roberts' sworn maximum release date BUT if you were part of the kickstarter you will be able to fly around in a simulator with your ship and look at what has been done so far in an Alpha by August or September of this year.

Chris is doing the object creation first, then building the world. Also keep in mind that he started this new company and secured his personal IP rights to Wing Commander at the same time he announced he was going to start making this game and formed a company all less than 2 years ago. He had a small team of like 3 and now has a dozen. He is amazing at both the development, project management and the PR side of this industry. Ego really could take some pointers if they want to pay off their bank notes.

jaml

jaml avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 11 years ago.

There is one way out to Egosoft. After Rebirth they should rethink / rebuild, and choose the path similar to SC. They should forget about Deepsilver, Steam... and start to talk with us (players). Lets say that they go in community-founding, like Chris?! I'm sure that many of us will prepaid / donate great new project. They should take advantage of existing game engines like RSI did. Maby till that time we will have CryEngine no 4 ?!
The problem is that they dont want to talk with players becouse they think that their ideas are the best... The second path leads to...., becouse they make X:U available for all platforms (like xbox, playstation...) and this game is simply too complex for consoles. So they probably cut some things and make it console-friendly. This will be the very end of egosoft and X:U.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me...
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

They will never use an outside engine because let's be honest, Egosoft are elitist snobs. They really do think that the only way they can make a game is to make it from the ground up or it won't be perfect. Developers like that never end up with real good games or real good reviews either, hence the 72/100 top review for an X game.

SC is going to use Steam, Amazon, GG, D2D probably all of the above because Chris wants to get it out to as many as possible. SC Will probably also be direct download from their own servers too.

Honestly I think X:Rebirth is going to be released for Console use in an attempt to get back their investment into the development, which means the PC version is going to be stripped down from what we have been used to in the past from Egosoft.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

Wait a minute gentlemen, Egosoft are developing their own engine because (just what I think) they are more experienced particularly in this genre of games and they have learned much things from their very long x-history (six X games) and also from the x-community, and this is the most important time for Egosoft to make it right from the beginning and put this experience in a new, fresh and bug-free (or we hope so) engine.

Think of why they called it Rebirth? because the game universe is completely new yes but also that is because they want to start that fresh beginning.

Besides, I'm not sure but I think they always create their X games using their own developed engines, X (the first engine), X2 and X3 engines, right?

So I think X Rebirth is now the most important business for Egosoft especially after all this successful (yet needs more... hmm... quality? Wink) career and after all years and efforts developing the current Rebirth Engine Smile

And as for using another engine, they said they already tried to look out for a proper engine but for some reasons (maybe like you said) they then decided to develop their own one.

So the most significant problem now is time (release date).

And after all, I shall say... yeah, I'm optimistic a bit and I hope Rebirth will be good enough not only for Rebirth game itself but also for the next games from Egosoft Smile

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
jaml

jaml avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I agree that Rebirth is the most important thing to egosoft.

I can agree that they want to start fresh...

I can not agree that egosoft engine is best for X-Universe. And... well CryEngine is far far better, more advanced, and better optimized than current engine and possibly eaven better then rebirth's engine. In my optinion we dont have CE3 in rebirth becouse of cold calculation. They can not afford it. Yes its that simple. And "can't afford" =
1. They need to rebuild whole game. Start everything from the begining. (It is a lie that they doing this now)
2. Money and income. They need to make profitss from rebirth. And even now it will be hard. If they buy rights to use CE3...
3. They have to admit that they are wrong. And form the very begining till now there is an unwritten law: Egosoft is always right!

I hope they are...

why they are lying?
- from what we saw in vids the script engine is almost the same;
- no 64bit support
- no dx11 support
so, I just do not belive that they write everything from scratch. And as we know in TC/AP this engine (even if its updated and optimised) is not enough. I have really nice PC, I can play new TR in fHD + all gfx to max and i never ever saw my fps under 60! And the same setting in X3:AP = L.O.L Smile
(on 2 CPU [not core] + 16gb ram [4x4 quad ch.] + 2x evga GF660 [sli] + SBFatality [full card not onboard chip]...) i think game like X3AP should fly like in FTL.
edit/ 2cpu = 2x Intel Core i7 3820 /endedit

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me...
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

I find it very odd to take the time and effort to build a graphics engine from the ground up that uses the same platform and coding as the previous... This game might have more "resolution" but it is going to look exactly like Reunion except maybe more detail.

I also find it odd that in 6 years of development I see a graphics testing video where you clearly see "Green Pixel" which is placeholder for yet to be rendered objects.

They are not even in alpha stage if they are still rendering game objects and have no plot or story line. Honestly folks, I give it a 50/50 that they go bankrupt before this game is released, and another 50/50 that they go bankrupt when sales are lackluster and bank notes come due.

jaml

jaml avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I really hope that they will ...awake!
But I agree to that, Barren. It could be the end for X universe...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

@Barren thanks for explaining about the shareholders and that. I just wondered, has I thought ego might need to impress someone (shareholder/investors etc.) with what's going on atm. So they were keeping quiet as they dont have much to show?

I guess for many of us, this silence doesnt help at all. Ego could have squashed fears by releasing some great screen-shots. This would also make us feel that ego are listening to us.. however since all this started (about dx9/32bit) what have ego said? yes, its based on old tech and just wait. Saying wait doesnt help at all, 2012 past without any news.

The development videos havnt helped either. Either the guy being interviewed seems clueless, or basically saying there's still a lot more to do. I guess so far, none of the guys have seemed very professional. Take the graphic guy, he should of been like 'hey guys, I want to show you about the LOD system and explain what we are doing, then give detailed information. However it turned into the interviewer (I guess Bernd) asking better questions, in-which he graphic guy was basically clueless (maybe he was caught-off guard). If the graphic guy was doing the development video (instead of being asked - WTF are you doing?!), then he could of been prepared and gave us a better video? It almost like interviewer wants to know WTF is going on themselves.

At the moment, it does imply that ego are a bunch elitist snobs (Barren's words). So far (as I know) they havnt asked the community what they'd like to see in a new x-game, kept them up-to date, or even added features we wanted (if anything removed ones we liked). We know they havnt kept up-to date with the tech. Maybe they have a great plan and everything will become clear after. However at this moment, all we can do is base our thoughts with the information we have at this time.

With the way things are atm, I do fear this could be the end of the x-games. A few times ive felt like pulling my rebirth site.

Come-on ego, throw us a frickin bone Smile

ps. I know that 70 votes isnt that much in the grand-scheme of things, but over 90% are still wanting DX11/64bit.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Don't pull it, I need somewhere to rant when they ban me from ES forums for quoting moderators and pointing out how terrible their development decisions have been. Wink

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

New Video...

These guys are trying so hard to convince us that 4 cores is the way to go while also using crap DX9 graphics... so odd.

Speaking of graphics, this game kinda blows.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Come on! its not bad, after this last video, I have three comments:

- The game graphics looks, as I expected, very good or at least much better than previous X3 graphics, despite using the older DX9 APIs.

- One of the most important aspects we hoped to be fixed, the avoiding collisions problem (technical-bug) we have been seeing before, is now fixed by using much better techniques (the calculated paths we see in the video). So this a really positive move made in this new engine. Smile

- The cockpit does not use up much screen as I thought. Its actually nice and simple/easy and at the same time it displays suitable HUD info, I like the design of that cockpit. Smile

However... yeah, the graphics could have been even higher after all this time, but maybe they are lowering the graphics settings in the video as they are testing?

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Ah, thanks for posting about the new video. I will post some news to let others know on the my rebirth site.

I must say the graphics do look okay. They arent best-ever (although I wasnt expecting them to be) they seem to be fairly okay, def. the best for any x-game. Im still a bit worried about DX9 although, although the next development video (pathing) seams much better.

as for the paths, the idea sounds much better. The old AI did used to struggle with capitals - I often found them spinning around things for ages, before they actually went any-where. Although if we cant pilot them any-more then we kind-of need better AI.

DangerClose

DangerClose avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

I think it should support ice cream.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Hey, Teladi suggest that you might be making a joke? Wink

« 1 2 3 4

You need to log-in to post here.