The cockpit, thoughts?

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » The cockpit, thoughts?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

How do you feel about the cockpit in Rebirth? For me it seems to take-up a a little too much of the screen. Ive cut-out the space and high-lighted our actual viewable area:

Picture

I think the column on the right doesnt help, as it takes up so much space.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

I don't mind cockpits taking up a lot of space if they are functional and this is anything but functional.

I also do not think ES expects us to use this view for much, they are really geeked up about Virtual Reality piloting drone ships. Sad

The more I see from this game the more I want to pull the plug and give the big money to Chris to secure a nice ship.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

[Edit]

I can imagine when Egosoft adds more player ships for next updates/releases or maybe mods, or they really should do, there will be different cockpit designs for different player ships and that would not be a problem for anyone, I think so.

However for now, since this player ship is a multi-purpose ship (e.g not a special combat one) and the screen resolution should be something like 1600*900 or higher, I see that the cockpit is quite good and feels like we flying a ship not a camera like before. Smile But it's simple? I mean it could better display more info? I'm not sure though.

However, I vote for 'Okay, if toggle-able', so toggling the HUD display should toggle the cockpit itself, and it would also be even better if there are alternative views in addition to the cockpit view, for example external views like those in previous games. Smile

[End Edit]

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

:eek External camera big no no... not with how ugly the Skunk is.

Fallent

Fallent avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 11 years ago.

I think the cockpit looks great. Externally the Skunk looks butt ugly in my opinion, but I do love the cockpit.

Going to be pretty awesome to zoom out, turn your head and see your Co-Pilot sitting there next to you. Hell of a lot more interesting then just seeing infront of you.

jaml

jaml avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 11 years ago.

Well - for me its really simple.
If I can TURN OFF this pice of...., than its ok, otherwise... (like i said).
I dont like BIG UGLY COCKPITS, without any usfulnes.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me...
Fallent

Fallent avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well - for me its really simple.
If I can TURN OFF this pice of...., than its ok, otherwise... (like i said).
- jaml

You can see your equipped weapons systems status in the cockpit. Laser power, shield status.
You can see the information about the ship you're scanning in the cockpit display. Also information about the current part of the station.
You can turn inside the cockpit to your Co-pilot to give her orders.
You can also go around your ship and give orders to your new crew. A cockpit is a very important part of that and the immersion.

HOW IS THAT USELESS? Confused

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Fallent, that's what I wanted to hear, and I wish to repeat that the cockpit is a simulation (and that's positive), feels like we actually flying the ship (immersion).

ps. I see the cockpit is okay (not too big either), if we take a look at a game like NFS Shift (screenshots Wink) we see the inner view of cars use up almost half the screen, right?

Picture

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
jaml

jaml avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

You can see your equipped weapons systems status in the cockpit. Laser power, shield status.
You can see the information about the ship you're scanning in the cockpit display. Also information about the current part of the station.
You can turn inside the cockpit to your Co-pilot to give her orders.
You can also go around your ship and give orders to your new crew. A cockpit is a very important part of that and the immersion.

All that things are shown form an angle. We are talking about space ship - where technology, displays and all other tech-things are high level tech.

As You guys started to comparing this thigs to car cockpits (technology) take look at some new inventions that exist now, here, on boring earth. There is a lot of cars that use on glass hud display (the driver dont need to turn around to check the speed for expl). In my opinion this is how it should look like. And display sceens should be semi-transparent, again this is space ship not a tractor! LOL

The inside view from a ship, including cockpit should be flooded with high-tech, not static boring things... The cockpits like this existed from the oldest space sims games, so egosoft is not only serving us outdated engine but also antique cockpit. It would have been ok if they rename the ships to albion archaeological vessel of grand space museum...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me...
jaml

jaml avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I don't mind cockpits taking up a lot of space if they are functional and this is anything but functional.

I also do not think ES expects us to use this view for much, they are really geeked up about Virtual Reality piloting drone ships.

The more I see from this game the more I want to pull the plug and give the big money to Chris to secure a nice ship.
- BarrenEarth

SAME HERE!!!

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Hello jaml, Smile

I agree and I already said that its simple yes but not bad, and this is just the first design, I mean like I said maybe they will make other designs for other space ships sooner just after the release?

And I'm not comparing a space ship with a car, I just wanted to say the cockpit isn't too big. Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

External camera big no no

Usually they dont work very well in these type-of games.

I see that the cockpit is quite good and feels like we flying a ship not a camera like before

I guess thats the balance, make the cockpit too small and you cant really put much info there. Make it too big, and you cant see what's going on (but you cant get loads of info there).

if we take a look at a game like NFS Shift (screenshots Wink) we see the inner view of cars use up almost half the screen, right?

Not the same game, however Grand Turismo 5 had the same sort-of views. You could choose external, seat, car-bonnet or in-front. The bonnet view is my most preferred, has the car-bonnet would take a little of the screen, but this allowed you to judge things (plus it was at a better height). However you had choice which view you wanted.

hmm.. looking at the cockpit there does seem to be a lot of empty space. There's like a 10% padding from the left with pretty much nothing there, then a big load of padding behind the TV (the right). The top part doesnt seem to do anything either.

The small-info screens on the left, do seam to have some important information. However being at an angle makes them a little harder to read.

The inside view from a ship, including cockpit should be flooded with high-tech, not static boring things.

Kind-of agree. Even now jet-pilots have helms that display targeting information etc. Would they want a 'side-panels'?

Fallent

Fallent avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

The top part doesnt seem to do anything either.

- Roguey

Not true! They have said you control the drones with the goggles that drop down. If they give you free look in the cockpit, when you look up you'll see one of the most important parts of the game!

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Fallant, Raptor... have you driven one of the real word Dodge Darts or Mercedes' or Cadilacs with the VR heads up display yet?

Yeah I can get speed, fuel, RPM, mileage, tempurature in and out and the status of my current radio song all on my windshield so I never have to look down.

Then I have to take the car back to the rental place because I can't afford that crap Smile

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Roguey said: The top part doesnt seem to do anything either.

Not true! They have said you control the drones with the goggles that drop down. If they give you free look in the cockpit, when you look up you'll see one of the most important parts of the game!
- Fallent

You mean the worst feature ever to appease the masses who were pissed as hell we were being limited to one ship... yeah, nice feature Eek

Fallent

Fallent avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Fallent said:Roguey said: The top part doesnt seem to do anything either.

You mean the worst feature ever to appease the masses who were pissed as hell we were being limited to one ship... yeah, nice feature
- BarrenEarth

When you have 100 piece stations and are spending hours scanning/sneaking into them with drones, then we'll see if you still hate that feature or not.

1 2 3 4 »

You need to log-in to post here.