a few questions about the Khaak starting position

Home Board Index » Roguey's X3 Mod » General » a few questions about the Khaak starting position

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 13 years ago.

hello, i've been playing X3 for a couple years now, and i recently decided to try Rougey's Mod. i knew that i would have to start a new game so i decided to try and go with the Khaak custom start, just to change things up. after about 4 hours into it i noticed something interesting.

i was killing off ships in a couple of the enemy sectors close to where you start out, and i noticed that 2 Khaak M2's and a group of fighters had jumped into one of the sectors that i was harassing, and they starting clearing the stations from the sector. after they killed a few stations and a Split M2 that jumped in, unfortunatly, i got shot down and had to restart from before all this had happened.

so my question is, quite simply, was this on purpouse? do your khaak brothers come help you take over sectors as you start to clear them? can i slowly work my way to destroying the entire universe? if so i think this sounds like a lot of fun.

also, one other quick question. do i ever get the opportunity to build more khaak stations like the Advanced Mineing Station, or the Parts Station? i'm finding it hard to keep up with energy needs, so is there maybe a Khaak energy station out there somewhere?

thank you for any answers you can provide!

in eternity, forever lasts but an instant.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 13 years ago.

hi there jacer, a big welcome to the site,

The khaak start position was done for 'fun', although I did try and make it so it was usable (I know that many starts like this are usable after the first 10 mins or so). I figured for resources you could steal them from TS ships.

As for the khaak support.. well I dont think they created to help, more like 'enemies' which are now friendly because you are a khaak. The mod does increase the 'life' in sectors anyway, from random attacks, events (maybe one of these), jobs and race response.

Id like to know how you get on, its not an easy start Smile

I could look at adding a khaak start to TC.

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

thank you, for the welcome and the swift reply. since you seem interested, i will share some of my other bumps and ideas on the subject.

first of all, and probably the most annoying part, is that you cannot select your sectors. i think this is similar to the terran problem of "unknown" equipment and ships, since you can't start the game with information on the "unknown" khaak sectors. when i try to scroll to my home sector where the HQ and such is, it just rolls right over them to the next available regular sector. the simple workaround is to set your HQ to "home". then you can tell your ships to go home if you want them to return to that sector, but for newly capped ships, it isn't so easy.

starting in a fighter makes things a lot easier. with the khaak fighter, you can easily take out transports. other fighters put up more of a fight, but still arn't that big of a problem. the M6's started to chew me up when i got too close, but i could still out run them if i wanted to. starting in the M3 made it challenging, but not rediculous and frustrating.

in the first couple hours i had capped like 4 transports and stolen about 10000 units worth of various resources. if you can catch an energy transporter, they do drop a good portion of energy, but 1000-2000 energy isn't that much when you look at how the mining station needs like 3k just to do one batch, and then the parts station needs about 4k for one batch of one resource. if your trying to build ships at your HQ, then you need even more energy.

speaking of the parts stations. i love the concept of an "all in one" station. however, i got annoyed with stealing energy, so i scripted myself some(yes i'm a dirty cheater). i noticed that the parts station only makes cloth, computer components, and a couple other things. through many production cycles i've never seen it produce crystals, teladianium or many of the other items needed to make ships. given, you can steal most of these, it's still a little frustrating.

unfortunatly my system won't run X3TC. i would love to play it, as the X3 fanbase is probably mostly ported over. if you are still interested in modifying this aspect of your X3 mod, i do have a few ideas to make this mod into a champain to take over the X universe.

PS: please don't get me wrong. i'm not trying to belittle the work you and your community have put into this. i am very impressed with all of your work. i simply wish to offer suggestions to help the Khaak starting position, and give players an ultimate goal in this campaign.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

i simply wish to offer suggestions to help the Khaak starting position, and give players an ultimate goal in this campaign.

Its quite the opposite, I like people telling me what they think rather than saying nothing. It helps me to make things better. The whole reason I created the forum, comment, member system, other-wise the site would just be a plain information site.

unfortunately my system won't run X3TC. i would love to play it, as the X3 fanbase is probably mostly ported over.

For me, TC was good but I still have something for X3... maybe its cos all the time I put into it (especially the mod)? the removal of the BBS did not help in TC. To be honest I havnt thought about updating X3 mod, but I could. Now I hope most things are working and complete on the site.

speaking of the parts stations. i love the concept of an "all in one" station. however, i got annoyed with stealing energy

I didnt know this, that sucks. Not sure if it can be 'corrected' but maybe.

starting in a fighter makes things a lot easier. with the khaak fighter, you can easily take out transports. other fighters put up more of a fight

I figured its hard enough start as it is, putting you in a M5 would just suck. however putting you in a M6 or something would make too easy.

first of all, and probably the most annoying part, is that you cannot select your sectors. i think this is similar to the terran problem of "unknown" equipment and ship

I wonder why for ages, found out its a 'feature' of X3. The main reason is that ego wanted you to buy the khaak sector cords, so they would be on their own. I did think you could keep pressing U however.

thank you, for the welcome and the swift reply. since you seem interested, i will share some of my other bumps and ideas on the subject.

As always Smile

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

well, i'm thinking of getting into scripting and modding so i can make some of these changes myself. i only want to do a few things, but there's multiple ways each of them can be done.

1. i want to revise the stations. first, i want to add the ability for the khaak player to build stations. maybe add a derilect TL to one of the first sectors that you can capp, and then rebuild at your HQ for your own needs. then stock it with custom Khaak stations and go about taking over sectors and setting up forward bases to wreak havoc and destruction from.

a. i deffinatly want to add some sort of advanced energy station. maybe bypass crystals and just use about 20 silicon, 1 nividium, and around 20-50 of a food unit to make 1500 energy cells every 5 min or so. i'm not sure about the numbers, or the food unit, but i know scruffin fruits seem to be plentifull in the early game since you start near the split.

b. i would also like it if i could purchase all starting stations(ie. HQ, mine, parts), at the khaak shipyard. to load on my TL, and then deposit at sectors that i clear and occupy.

c. finally, i'm conserned about the parts station. it's nice, but i think it produces too much. if we split it into at least 2, more specalized stations, it would be a little more efficient. maybe make a food station, and a metals/tech station.

d. my final station idea. since you would be a khaak attacking/killing/pillaging, you would run across a lot of slaves. what if there was an option to use slave labor to increase production at stations. then give your TP's that you capp, the ability to transfer slaves between stations.

2. i don't know if this is possible, as i haven't messed with the game mechanics much yet, but i'd like to find a way to modify the khaak AI so that they follow behind you and populate sectors that you set up stations in. it would be kinda like you would be the strike force that went out and cleared sectors, set up a few defence/production stations, and then the home guard came in behind you and set up patrols.

the patrols could slowly increase from M5's to M3's, then M6, M6+, and M7's, untill finally, you had a M2 running around. each sector should have it's own home guard timescale, that would start when you build your first station there. maybe spawn a few ships every hour, untill, eventually, you have about 40 random fighters, 5 M6's, 2M7's and like 1 M2. then the only thing you would have to worry about are large invasions by other races.

that's all i can think of for now. i'm thinking i'll start a regular game untill we figure this out and finish Revenge of the Khaak.(oh yeah, i just named it.)

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

oh and since i guess you have to buy the Khaak sector information from BBS, is there some way you can force-load the message onto Khaak stations, and sell it for cheap? this would aliveate the sector selection BS.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

I have been updating the Khaak start with a few extra's Smile
The shipyard now has a TL for sale and a few stations. You also given a new power station and there are more wares for sale at the Khaak station (including savage insurance - missed adding that before). This should make the Khaak a bit better now.

If you would kindly try the new start, here:
Updated, Khaak start

To install, unzip the file to your X3/Scripts folder. Replace the existing file.

i don't know if this is possible, as i haven't messed with the game mechanics much yet, but i'd like to find a way to modify the khaak AI

This is possible but with a different script. It could be added to the random event generator.

oh and since i guess you have to buy the Khaak sector information from BBS, is there some way you can force-load the message onto Khaak stations

Nope, its hard coded which means you cant change it unfortunately.

what if there was an option to use slave labor to increase production at stations

This might be possible however it would need a script just for this.

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

i think the script is broken. i unzipped the galexy.khaak... script into my scripts folder in my X3 directory. i figured i would have to start a new game to see the changes so i tried it. it spawned me in argon prime with a MK 2 buster. i was curious so i loaded my Khaak save to see if it would utilize the new script. no, it was unchanged. so i went into the script editor to see if i could find the script and see how it was broken, i couldn't even see it. all the other custom start scripts were there, but for some reason it won't show the Khaak one. i can see it in the directory if i pull up a file view, but in the game it just won't show. it also won't show in the script editor when you start the custom Khaak game, hence why i started in argon prime.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Please re-try the file now (re-download from the above link). Ive just noticed that I had the wrong compression set (It was set to Terran Conflict rather than X3). d'oh! Smile

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

i just saw your post. unfortunatly i'm about to turn in for the night. i'll probably get back in the game tomorrow night and try out the modifications you made. as i said, i'll probably start a new game, so it'll take me a while to get back into it. so, unless there's something horribly broken, i'll get back on here tuesday with some feedback for ya.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

okies, sorry about the bad download before. Hopefully it will be okay now Smile

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

k, just started the new Khaak champaign. everything seems to be working fine. deffinatly can't wait get some money and buy that TL and start expanding!

thanks again for the updates.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

np, hopefully now you can grow a bit stronger now. So the start is more useful.

Salvage Insurance will help no doubt. Pictures of your mini-empire are always welcomed. Wink

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

right, i have another complaint. my game keeps force closing in the middle of battles. it seems to be completley random too. it happened once when i was fighting a split dragon M2, which i reloaded and killed. about an hour after that incident it happened again when i was fighting a zenon L. i'm not sure if this is caused by the MOD, or if it's just my game. if you have any tips or ideas i'd be welcome to try them out. it's starting to get pretty frustrating, as it's happened a couple other times too. i'm pretty sure it only happens when i'm playing as a Khaak.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Could you try turning off some of the Artificial life scripts (ie. Random events), and see if any better - just an idea.

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

just as an update. i've realized that it's going to be a really long time before i get the opportunity to buy a TL and set up my first station. even at that, a single station will not be profitable. i can't set up a SPP without a crystal fab to support it, and if i set up a crystal fab, i won't have enough energy to support that. silicon isn't too much of a concern because of the advanced mine, but depending on what race of crystal fab it is, i doubt i'll be able to find much food for it to produce any crystals.

i don't know if you did this intentionally or not, but there's no way to equip your homemade ships. i built about 5 scouts to start with, to compliment my fighter and various tasks. after the 1st one, i realized that i had no more shields, or AKE's. the Khaak equip station doesn't auto refill on equipment, and there are no stations that build AKE's, so the 1 in my HQ was all that i got. i'm comming to regret the build, as i'm now out of a few essential resources.

the energy farm is nice, it takes 2 nividium to make about 1500 energy. unfortunatly it takes about 3000ish energy to make 5 nividium. most of my time is spent trading energy and nividium between my mine and solar plant. on the upside, i get a byproduct of ore and silicone for each round of nividium.

i did some exploring and realized something else. even if i found a ship to capp or claim far away from home, i would never be able to get it back through all those hostile sectors unless i cleared them of all ships, or had capped one fast enough to outrun M6's, and strong enough to kill M3's and below.

i'm not trying to bitch, just letting you know how i'm doing and what hardships i'm comming across.

BTW, the Khaak M3 is badass. every M3 i've come across is no match for me, and i even killed that split dragon MK2 with no problem. M6's with more turrets and smaller guns like BPAC's are harder though, as they are more accurate and have fewer blind spots. i'm thinking of trying to kill "the ogre" soon, as i'm getting bored in the 2 sectors that i can safely hunt in.

also, i turned off the random event script, which seemed to have helped. my game hasn't crashed since i did that.

also, if anyone else on here is trying the Khaak start, please share your stories and or advice.

1 2 3 4 »

Sorry but this thread has been locked.