RRF Boarding

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » RRF Boarding

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

It's previously been noted on a few forums including the ES ones, that capturing RRF ships can be rather buggy. Common problems are things such as the ship disappearing from stations a few hours afterwards, or failing to yield blueprints if they're reverse engineered. Knowing that, I still aimed to board a RRF Minotaur. I have in fact had this in my sights for quite a while now, as I pointed out in this thread over a week ago. Since then I've been boosting up my marines' abilities to prep them, as this Minotaur has Internal Sentry Lasers as well has a good horde of defending marines. Usually I'd just zap it with IDs but as an RRF it would jump.

Now the reason I chose the target anyway was not because of the ship. I use Cobras for M7Ms and I have two of them already. I want this ship because it has a jump beacon on board. I couldn't care less about the ship itself in comparison. I just want that beacon. After that I don't care if the ship despawns.

Now, the boarding operation for the most part went off without a hitch. It was in a pretty empty sector, Cloudbase SW, and there were no other military vessels around. It being an M7M it was as easy as letting it burn through all its missiles until it became a sitting duck. The only issue was at the very end. I will use pictures to illustrate:

Picture
"Transferring ship control"

Picture
So far so good.

Picture
...what?

Ok, no problem. Just reload and do it again...

Same thing.

*Blink*

Picture

Goodbye Minotaur, jump beacon, and the 20 five star marines which have taken a week to train. I condemn your souls to the digital void...

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

oh my... did it just disappear into thin air?... well space. No explosions or anything?

helfenbein

helfenbein avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

I just destory the things as fast as humanly poible then hopethat it droped the jump becon, thats how I always get mine, Works better with M6's though.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

oh my... did it just disappear into thin air?... well space. No explosions or anything?
- Roguey

Precisely. It definitely didn't jump, because as you can see I have it on Shift+2, and that would still track it. It just vanished.

I tried again with a RRF Cobra, and halfway through it flicked across to the other side of the sector (not by jumping) and then jumped into a core sector. Daaamn, RRFs are buggy...

I just destory the things as fast as humanly poible then hopethat it droped the jump becon, thats how I always get mine, Works better with M6s though.
- helfenbein

M6's carry them? Huh, I hadn't realised. I shall give it a try, thanks

martimus

martimus avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 12 years ago.

The last patch removed the ability to get Jump Beacons from destroyed ships. You can only get them from boarding now.

suzukigsxr

suzukigsxr avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 12 years ago.

I have seen this exact thing myself they do jump i have 5 jump beacons and have my eye on another 3.

Normally when they board i hit "R" and just at the point of hacking "GONE!! WTF" i my normal response.

what i did find is that before boarding i check if they have ECells and how many and then work out how far they can jump and jump to that location.

I also make sure i save at each deck most important.

I'll reload and try again.

don't give up!!

anyone else who knows my post another Xenon I capped today (12) Alien Dance 1 and an osaka !! my first!!

Also note the ship ID and scan faction sectors hopefully you have enough ADV Sats in all sectors.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I have seen this exact thing myself they do jump i have 5 jump beacons and have my eye on another 3.

Normally when they board i hit "R" and just at the point of hacking "GONE!! WTF" i my normal response.

what i did find is that before boarding i check if they have ECells and how many and then work out how far they can jump and jump to that location.

I also make sure i save at each deck most important.

I'll reload and try again.

don't give up!!

anyone else who knows my post another Xenon I capped today (12) Alien Dance 1 and an osaka !! my first!!

Also note the ship ID and scan faction sectors hopefully you have enough ADV Sats in all sectors.
- suzukigsxr

They're not jumping away. If they were I'd still be able to track them because I've got them on Shift+2, and I'd then go get them. They're vanishing from the game completely. This is a bug, and a pretty bad one.

And yes I have Adv sats with full ecliptic coverage in all non-xenon sectors.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

This is a bug, and a pretty bad one.
- Seygantte

I agree, just has your about to get your prize its snatched away from you Evil

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Especially frustrating considering it had been my goal for over a week to cap that particular ship.

I've put some thought into the bug though. Would I be right in thinking that, when you take control of a ship, the ship is removed and a new ships belonging to you is added in that location? It seems that way by the way the ID changes, and often there's a jolt if the new ship isn't quite facing the right way. If this is the way boarding works, I'm guessing that the code that adds the new ship in has gone wrong when it comes to RRF ships.

suzukigsxr

suzukigsxr avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I capped a Argon Colossus today and had a very similar situation just at the point it wass at level 5 it jump GONE !!! nowhere to be seen.

Not a problem its annoying but i save at the beginning of boarding reloaded tried again same thing again !!

3 times had the same problem at different levels but sucessful in the end.

so my advice is make sure you save just before you board.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

well I would recommend two saves, one just before you start (encase the ship turns into a un-boardable one), and another by deck, or two. What does a few save cost?

suzukigsxr

suzukigsxr avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I actually use seven saves to board 1 before send my marines, 1 at the point of boarding then every level and they pray i get goodies after my effort as the Xenon's are BAD !!! at losing marines i have lost all marines (30) at level 1 before maximum 100% marines fighting the whole lot.!! cheating swines.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I tried again on a RRF Kraken recently, and the same thing happened. I think it's specific to M7Ms. It seems that they are ordered to jump away once they're out of missiles, and perhaps this is interfering with with boarding.

On a lighter note, I capped an RRF Gannet and not only did I get a jump beacon but it jumped to a shipyard just before control was transferred. It had completely repaired the hull for me Big grin

suzukigsxr

suzukigsxr avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Congrats on your first JB thinks and your full repair.

I think its alot like motor racing collecting these. once you get your first one your next ones will be easier.

I collected another JB today on a M2 Boron my 7th.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well actually it was my second JB. I snagged one from a Python a few days ago and with it came 20 IBLs to boot.

*Update*

I just tried on an RRF Cobra, and surprise surprise the bug is back, only slightly differently. This time, the ship stuck around for about 20 seconds or so before it vanished from the game. Putting aside that this behaviour is even more odd, considering at this point I own the ship, it did at least give me time to eject all the contents and my marines. JB No.3 acquired Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I bet you though when it jumped the shipyard you had lost it? very nice of them to repair the hull for you.

What do you guys do with the jump beacons? I mean do you sell them? or use them?

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.