...And now for something completely different...

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » ...And now for something completely different...

Morgund

Morgund avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

When my last couple of marines complete their training I intend on attempting my first boarding. I have chosen possibly the safest target in the universe, the Aran. I have a total of 8 marines and will be using a Zephyr for this boarding.

Once I feel competent / confident with this boarding affair I intend on kitting out a Sirokos for future boarding ops. I'm considering the Cerberus as the lead offense craft to take down my targets shields and help with fighter control.

Any suggestions on Cerberus kit? I think I have the basic idea; I'll have anti-shield weapons in the main weapons bays and anti-fighter/anti-missile weapons in the turrets. I intend on piloting this craft and command the Sirokos to fire the boarding pods when the target is sufficiently deprived of shielding.

Thoughts?

Morg.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

When my last couple of marines complete their training I intend on attempting my first boarding. I have chosen possibly the safest target in the universe, the Aran. I have a total of 8 marines and will be using a Zephyr for this boarding.
- Morgund

Zephyr? Do you mean the OTAS Zephyrus TM? As far as I know you can't use a TM for boarding ops. Also, I'm not sure about AP, but in TC boarding an Aran with only 8 marines was an exercise in frustration. Most of the time you will need at least 12-15 fairly well trained marines to take it.

Any suggestions on Cerberus kit? I think I have the basic idea; Ill have anti-shield weapons in the main weapons bays and anti-fighter/anti-missile weapons in the turrets. I intend on piloting this craft and command the Sirokos to fire the boarding pods when the target is sufficiently deprived of shielding.
- Morgund

CIGs and Ion Disruptors in your main bank, Flak Artillery Arrays and Ion Ds in your side/rear/top/bottom turrets to cover against fighters and missiles. The CIGs can be used to drop the shields to sub 5%, then Ions for fine tuning/system stripping. Switch back to CIGs when you're ready to fire your pods (only one or two at a time though, or you'll end up bashing the hull).

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
martimus

martimus avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 12 years ago.

The Aran id not the safest target. Especially with only 8 marines. They have a very high probability of all dying, since the basr defense of an Aran is I believe 1100, while the max fight skill of 8 marines is only 800. They can only make it through with the help of the random number generator.

Beyond that, unless your mechanical skill (or is it engineering?) is at 100 for all marines, you will probably never be able to successfully board it, since it has almost no hull.

Try boarding a M6 instead. I have never lost a marine while boarding an M6. A Skiron works well for boarding M6s until you get a Hyperion. It is fast (although not agile) and has the weapon generator to fit a full rack of CIGs. Just shut down most of the CIGs once the shields are down to avoid doing too much damage to the hull.

Once you can afford it, the Cobra is the best boarding ship in the game though.

Morgund

Morgund avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Your text goes here..
Zephyr? Do you mean the OTAS Zephyrus TM? As far as I know you cant use a TM for boarding ops. Also, Im not sure about AP, but in TC boarding an Aran with only 8 marines was an exercise in frustration. Most of the time you will need at least 12-15 fairly well trained marines to take it.
- Kirlack

Sorry, yes I did mean the Zephyrus. I thought I could just eject the marines from the freight bay and they would spacewalk to the target?

If that's not the case I guess I should go ahead and start kitting out my Sirokos.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Sorry, yes I did mean the Zephyrus. I thought I could just eject the marines from the freight bay and they would spacewalk to the target?
- Morgund

Only TP, M6 and M7M class ships have the boarding option. There's a script for TC which allows you to buy a ship extension which can then beam marines from any ship, but I don't know if it's AP compatible (or whether you'd be prepared to go modified?)

Morgund

Morgund avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Only TP, M6 and M7M class ships have the boarding option. There's a script for TC which allows you to buy a ship extension which can then beam marines from any ship, but I don't know if it's AP compatible (or whether you'd be prepared to go modified?)
- Kirlack

Somehow I've already got a modified tag after reinstalling the game and installing the X3AP Bonus Pack... I reinstalled because I was having a problem triggering the PHQ plot in an actual modified game. That aside, I'd like to learn to do this in vanilla fashion before I start looking at simplifying.

I guess I'll go ahead and buy a Skiron and work on getting it kitted out while I get the rest of my marines trained. Thanks very much for the advice.

martimus

martimus avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 12 years ago.

I suggested a Skiron because it holds 8 marines and is the right speed to board other M6es. You will be able to space walk other M6es with those 8 marines.

Morgund

Morgund avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I suggested a Skiron because it holds 8 marines and is the right speed to board other M6es. You will be able to space walk other M6es with those 8 marines.
- martimus

I got you. I've had my eye on several OTAS ships for a while and just haven't been able to bring myself to part with the credits. I've got my Skiron kitted out and am just waiting on 2 more marines to complete their training - 15% to go. There are a couple of Ps terrorizing Scale Plate Green and the Teladi haven't sent in an RF to take them out so I think they'll make a good first attempt.

helfenbein

helfenbein avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

I don't know about you, but 10 marines arn't gonna cut it for boarding a Q.

Morgund

Morgund avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I don't know about you, but 10 marines arn't gonna cut it for boarding a Q.
- helfenbein

Yeah, sorry about that, meant Ps. Thanks for calling me on that.

helfenbein

helfenbein avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

no problem, I never was able to cap a P with a corvett though, It took me 12 marine minimum in a TP, Try to beat me...Not hard.

Morgund

Morgund avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Stocking up on Salvage Insurance now Big grin

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

I'm going to weigh in here and drag the thread back a bit. I managed to cap the Aran with 8 marines I think. It wasn't my first boarding, so they were at 100 for fighting, but their other skills weren't great. The biggest issue I had there was the Aran exploding, so watch out for that. However with a little luck, the Aran can be boarded with only 8 marines.

I'll also weigh in on what I think is the easiest target. Firstly TMs are obviously easier to board than an M6 simply because they're not going to be shooting at you so much, so it can be done with less powerful ships. Secondly, I'd like to point out what I think is a very easy target. If you find a lone M7M, scan it. If there aren't any marines onboard, then it's a sitting duck. It's just a case of pissing it off enough for it to waste all of it's marines, and then you're free to do as you wish. Zap it with IDs if there are Internal Sentry Lasers, but other than that it should be a breeze. I know for a fact that M7s can be capped with only 8 marines.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I agree M7Ms are particularly easy to steal. I've taken a Paranid Ares with only 12 marines on one occasion, and I seem to remember Nuklear Slug stole a Minatour in one of his DiDs with only 5! That may have been in an earlier patch of TC though, so boarding has probably been 'tweaked' since.

@Seygantte: Congrats on taking the Aran with only 8! I really didn't think it was possible, but as you say they were all 5 star fighters Big grin

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I guess it doesnt help that M7M's cost a lot too, making them even more lucrative.

@Seygantte big congratulations on taking a Aran with 8! How many re-loads? :p

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

Only one or two. The trick is to do it in the witching hour while facing north and singing the William Tell Overture*. Thus you will appease the random number generator gods.

* Some people tout Rise Of The Valkyries. Do not listen to this superstitious nonsense. As we all know, that's for boarding #deca.

I'm actually rather proud of the cap, since in addition to only having 8 marines, I did it in a sector with a Xenon station and an I bearing down on me. If I had screenies I would post them, but alas I was being too frantic to think of taking any.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
1 2 3 »

You need to log-in to post here.