Dark Star One

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Dark Star One

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 11 years ago.

I've been looking at over space games and I came across Dark Star One (found it in the attic, don't know who bought) I checked and it's going for £5.99 on Steam, quite good! :P
It's a brilliant game, with a very large play zone, a good 50-100 sectors (not explored them all yet) you only have one ship, but the ship is a Biological ship so it evolves as you find artifacts. I recommend the game.

Has anyone played it before?

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

I haven't personally, but there has been numerous mentions of it on the egosoft boards over the years. Some have agreed with you, but far more are die-hard X fans and label the game as a write off. How many of them have actually played it I don't know, but the general feeling is that it's no comparison to the complexity and size of the X-Universe.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

maybe im being thick, but I dont see it on steam? Confused

caffeeine

caffeeine avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

i played a game similer to that called genisus riseing or something like that it was a bull carp game. Humaninty labled them selfs a gods and all other alien races below them but i think it was the first steaping stone for games where you had a good, evil or nutrial choice and it effected the out come of the game.

A question that has puzzled me for my whole 24 years of life. If a word is in the dictonary is mispelled how do we know?
bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/12330/

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

looks interesting, although does it have all the exploring, trading etc. like the old x-games?

also, is it or does the graphics look a little old?

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

It is an older looking game. I noticed that.

It has exploring, trading and contract accepting capability, but no way near as complex as X.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

It does seem a few games are starting to be like x, although still nothing quite like it. I think sooner or later someone going to make something very similar.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I actually hope I will see something beat X, X is my all time favorite game series, to see something beat it will be good.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hello bozo64r, Roguey and hello everyone,
Me too, X-games series are my favorite and I think that Egosoft will continue to be the leader in this type of games at least for few years (X-Rebirth time and the one or two games after it).

I actually hope I will see something beat X, X is my all time favorite game series, to see something beat it will be good.

Unfortunately there is no other 'space game' like X (in complexity, depth and multi-role), could you tell me why, I don't understand why there is no developer (except Egosoft) wants to develop such wonderful games. Sad Smile Sad

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

It would be good if was a rival to x-games. Has you said, no-one has really challenged them. Usually its better for us, has the two companies usually push themselves for attention - creating a better game for all of us.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Maybe another type of space games, not necessarily the same as of the X-Universe, not challenging each other. For example:

type-a:
A galaxy-wide universe with alien races and some Sci-Fi methodologies (star-gates, jump-drives, light/FTL speed, aliens/ancients/predators ...etc).
Like the X-Universe by Egosoft.

type-b:
One solar system with several planets/moons/asteroid-fields/nebulas (not necessarily our solar system), no space-gates nor any Sci-Fi, no aliens (just humans of several factions), real simulation/physics like inertia/newton's-laws-of-motion/gravity (have we experienced such simulations in the X-Universe?! Wink), and futuristic technologies (space-crafts/ships/vessels/whatever, space-stations ...etc).

What do you think of type-b games? or other types?

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Type b would be fine if we have something like seta. Otherwise travelling would be a bit of an grind. It would be a little strange being in a space-game without aliens although.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

It would be a little strange being in a space-game without aliens

As we travel throughout the galaxy, we might encounter aliens. But for a small system like type-b there is no chance but just humans of different countries (in this case, planets), think of it as the human race have expanded their home-system (Planet Earth) to inhabit other planets/systems.

This type of games (type-b) needs extremely high graphics/effects and the planets (as well as all objects) need to be detailed enough so as we can land on planets, moons and even large asteroids, and we can enter inside stations and ships. So the 'one solar system' idea or like, is not as some people might think, its so detailed, deep and live. Smile What do you think? I really think someone should think of it real. Nod

And as you said, the game would need SETA and/or Jump-Drive in addition to very fast explorer vessels (3000+ m/s or something), but not necessarily Space-Gates/Trans-Accelerators.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Roguey, I think I have finally found the answer of a question I asked many times before, is there any developer besides Egosoft who could develop a really good space game like Rebirth? the answer is Star Citizen by Chris Roberts, its not exactly like Rebirth but it seems like a good/great space game that is not released yet, take a look there and please tell me what do you think about it. Smile

You need to log-in to post here.