Home Board Index » Gaming » Steam » Rebel Galaxy

Rebel Galaxy

Posted 4 years ago.
Sinxar

User Badge
Hugonaught
Picture

This is a fun little game I got from the Humble Monthly Bundle a while back and never tried it out until now. It looked fun but just never had any motivation to try it.

From the store:
Rebel Galaxy is a swashbuckling space adventure, with action-packed combat, exploration, discovery, trade, and “negotiation” with the outlandish denizens at the edge of the known universe.

As the commander of an immensely powerful star destroyer, you’ll battle pirates, explore anomalies, befriend aliens, scavenge battle wreckage, mine asteroids, and discover artifacts. Choose your path as a roguish do-gooder, crafty space-trader or power-hungry privateer – or maybe a little of each! Buy larger and more powerful craft with your hard-earned credits, and outfit them with a variety of wicked weapons and defenses. Set in a galaxy of fantastic sights, and secrets to be found, Rebel Galaxy is above all a space epic of adventure, exploration, and combat.

The edge of the universe is a pretty dangerous place, so watch your back.

The main focus is combat. Trading can be fairly profitable from what I experienced, mining seems to be a total waste of time but I could just be doing it wrong.

It is important to note that while set in space, it is more like naval combat as the game is actually a 2d plane and you broadside other capitals. There are many ships to choose from and they are all capital class vessels. It can be compared to the game Windward surprisingly closely. It has a fairly large map that is randomly generated each playthrough that is divided into sectors. Each sector is very large with lots of missions and locations to keep you busy for a while.

Difficulty is based on the equipment you have so as far as I know, you can't go buy the best guns and just wreck everything as everything scales up. You can also hire a merc to help you and I highly recommend doing so. They are quite good at distracting some of the heavy hitters and killing annoying fighters. You can directly control a turret by switching to it or you can set them to only attack certain targets.

The soundtrack gives the game a lot of atmosphere, however the music is copyrighted work but you have the option of using custom music if you make a living from Youtube. The art style isn't bad either and goes well with the overall atmosphere the music sets.

It is fun and if you have been subscribed to Humble Monthly (no reason not to be), it was free for you also. My main gripe is the ship computer announcing everything. While not an issue in of itself, the audio ducking is very annoying for me with no way to disable it.

I upgraded to a better ship and have half decent weapons (but im still in the starting sector doing the story mission and making money).

Posted 4 years ago.
Roguey

User Badge
Please insert pizza!
Looks kind-of interesting, kind-of x-game mixed with homeworld?

btw, those two videos you added in your post dont seem to work - not sure why.

I havnt even checked out Avorion as much as I liked - seem to be pretty busy with things atm. Hopefully things will return to normal soon Smile

Posted 4 years ago.
Sinxar

User Badge
Hugonaught
Looks kind-of interesting, kind-of x-game mixed with homeworld?

btw, those two videos you added in your post dont seem to work - not sure why.

I havnt even checked out Avorion as much as I liked - seem to be pretty busy with things atm. Hopefully things will return to normal soon
- Roguey

Oops my bad. I had them set to private cause I wasn't sure what it would do since the music is copyrighted then forgot to change it, hopefully since there are like 4 different claims on each video there are no ads at all but not sure. It is much more arcade style than those 2 games.

Posted 4 years ago.
Roguey

User Badge
Please insert pizza!
I defiantly agree its a more arcade style game - after seeing your videos. I gather the ships are set designs, can you modify the ship/weapons in any way? Im not sure its my cup-of-tea to be honest, but be interested in your progress. I guess since its more arcade style you earn your money by killing things rather than trading etc.?

Oops my bad. I had them set to private cause I wasn't sure what it would do since the music is copyrighted then forgot to change it, hopefully since there are like 4 different claims on each video there are no ads at all but not sure. It is much more arcade style than those 2 games.

I often turn off the music, so if I do shadow-play something quickly then I dont have to worry about the copyrighted music. Although it does detract from the game a little.

Posted 4 years ago.
Sinxar

User Badge
Hugonaught
Yay finally got it, it is really good too. Quite agile and can reach fairly high speeds. Excellent DPS on top of that.
Picture

Posted 4 years ago.
maxi19

It's quite an enjoyable 'shoot the bad guys' kind of game, brilliant to think it was made by only 2 guys, puts the extended/non released, years to go game companies to shame.

Posted 3 years ago.
plchung3

I am also playing this game. Very impressed by the fact that's implemented by only two guys.

It reminds me of the good old Freelancer. I tried many other recent space games I found that I still prefer to have some kind of single player campaign focus as the main story in addition to the space freedom.

Unlike the X3AP which is really "optional" until I want to get my PHQ.

The game lacks some depth though such as not having enough equipment variations. However the combat is exciting and the broadside combat is quite innovative too.

I just don't get why X games can't implement some fast travel method like the sub-light warp travel in this game and have to use SETA instead.

I have seen on twitter they are implementing a new space shooter game. Looks very smooth and fun too.

« Previous | Page: 1 | Next »

You need to log-in to post here.