Getting the Aran--Questions

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » Getting the Aran--Questions

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

In Scott's Final Fury thread, a brief discussion (beginning on page 3) came up about finding the Aran in one of those sectors you can get to by using the UFJD.
In this discussion it was recommended that an M7M would be the best ship for capping the Aran.

Now in some other threads it was mentioned that sometimes you loss stuff...like your triplex scanner, jumpdrive, etc., when jumping with the UFJD.
I think nothing would suck more then finally finding an Aran but losing your jump-drive and not being able to get the Aran out of the sector...or getting stuck in a sector with no way out.

Seygantte linked an AP guide for capping an Aran that has some really good information in it.

Would 'hunting' for an Aran be best done with a TL or M7 that has docked fighters?
Fighters equipped with spare parts...jump-drives, triplex scanners, etc.
Instead of firing Boarding Pods from an M7M, wouldn't the "Piracy" option be fine for capping this ship?

Also, as mentioned in AP guide, would using the Repair Laser work for turning the Aran hostile work in TC?

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Well I did write a guide on it (albeit for X3AP, although most things should be similar/the same):
- Capturing your own Aran,

I would say either a TP, or a M7M would be best. With a TP you get large amounts of marines onboard, or a M7M because of boarding pods (saves auto-pilot flying around doing nothing for ages).

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I have never heard of the jumpdrive being destroyed in an UFJD jump. Usually it's either the triplex scanner or transported device that gets destroyed, both of which aren't hard to replace. As far as which ship you should use, an M7M isn't vital. The Aran is unshielded and stationary, so getting the marines on isn't the hardest thing in the world.

As roguey said, most people find a TP the cheapest way to do it. More marines are of course better, but I'll weigh in with a minimum requirement. People have stories as to what the minimum is, but the fewest I've heard of is when I did it in a Hyperion with 8 marines, all 5 star in fighting and high engineering. As such it is possible to do it in an M6, but you may have trouble. If you have an M7M to hand though, just stick with that because it's quick.

*Edit
Do not trust this information. It is based on X3AP.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

In AP yes, a TP would work on account of their being able to hold up to 40 Marines. In TC however, which cjm is playing, TP class can only hold 10 Marines. In my experience, since the 2.6 patch for TC the Aran cannot be capped with so few mercs. Believe me I've tried....many many times.

I would go with an M7M, simply because it gives the best chance of success. Jump to the ufjd sector, drop an advanced satellite and look for the ship. When you find one fly over to it, shutting down all your frigate's turrets (you'll hate yourself if you leave them on attack all enemies) en route. Once you close on the Aran, eject from your ship and use repair laser to turn it hostile (and perhaps for some time after that to ensure hull integrity is high enough to allow for boarding attempt), then back into your ship.

Now open your ship command menu> Piracy> board ship - The Aran should appear as the only ship available to board.

Save before launch! And at every deck! Big grin

Now, a word about what the ufjd can destroy. Triplex and Duplex scanners, freight scanner, transporter device are all definites. Bioscanner and mineral scanner are possibles. Jumpdrive is NOT affected by ufjd, ever.

best of luck cj! Big grin

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Now, a word about what the ufjd can destroy. Triplex and Duplex scanners, freight scanner, transporter device are all definites. Bioscanner and mineral scanner are possibles. Jumpdrive is NOT affected by ufjd, ever.
- Kirlack

I can live with that. As long as I can get out again Hate PC

If you have an M7M to hand though, just stick with that because its quick.
- Seygantte

I have a pair of them. Which one-which one Dizzy

Since nothing can happen to my jump-drive while getting an Aran, I can go back to my original plans.

Sometimes it's nice to remember wrong.
As long as someone is around to point this out to me. Beer

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

In AP yes, a TP would work on account of their being able to hold up to 40 Marines. In TC however, which cjm is playing, TP class can only hold 10 Marines.
- Kirlack

Oh, my mistake. I knew there was a few differences between boarding in TC and AP, but the general idea is the same Smile

So hopefully most of the guide should make sense in TC, or AP.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I saw in the AP guide what ships an Aran can dock...but can an Aran dock with Equipment Docks, Shipyards, and Military Outposts? Or is it too large?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

The Aran is actually classed as a M1, so it can dock anywhere a M1 can. The ship does have a few docking/undocking issues, but this can be over-come ordering the ship to dock/undock from out-of-sector (OOS).

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

In Scott's Final Fury thread, a brief discussion (beginning on page 3) came up about finding the Aran in one of those sectors you can get to by using the UFJD.
In this discussion it was recommended that an M7M would be the best ship for capping the Aran.

Now in some other threads it was mentioned that sometimes you loss stuff...like your triplex scanner, jumpdrive, etc., when jumping with the UFJD.
I think nothing would suck more then finally finding an Aran but losing your jump-drive and not being able to get the Aran out of the sector...or getting stuck in a sector with no way out.

Seygantte linked an AP guide for capping an Aran that has some really good information in it.

Would 'hunting' for an Aran be best done with a TL or M7 that has docked fighters?
Fighters equipped with spare parts...jump-drives, triplex scanners, etc.
Instead of firing Boarding Pods from an M7M, wouldn't the "Piracy" option be fine for capping this ship?

Also, as mentioned in AP guide, would using the Repair Laser work for turning the Aran hostile work in TC?

Sometimes you lose good stuff when looking for an Aran but I have never lost my JD. Depending on how exactly you go about this I would just use an M7M. Mainly because Kha'ak can hurt sometimes. But like has already been said, just make it hostile with your repair laser and start boarding it. I also have never lost any marines capping them.

I always started capping them after I had my HQ, but it would just as easily work in a system with a shipyard. Once you figure out how to find them quickly just go to a shipyard system and start from there. board as per the guide and dock your m7m to it. trade the JD and some ecells and jump back. trade your JD and marines back to your m7m. order the aran to dock at the shipyard and go back out searching again. Only 10 marines are needed for capping this in TC.

Let us know how much hull is left on your best one. My personal record is 87% hull on one.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

87%? You lucky bastard. My last attempt had me limping back to base with a measly 7%

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

87%? You lucky bastard. My last attempt had me limping back to base with a measly 7%
- Seygantte

wow thats really low. I found a trick to locate them fairly quickly and got lucky after quite a few capped is all. IDK tho i see people saying its impossible to cap one with more than 30% hull left, but I have regularly got them with 50% or more.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

87% wow, nice. I think the one I got was like 20% or something. I actually repaired the thing to 100% too, at the shipyard.

Osemaj

Osemaj avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hi,
I'm trying right now to cap an aran in AP (i know this is the TC board but i'm new here and felt a bit rude starting a whole new thread when there was a perfectly useable one on the TC board)
and i've jumped into the sector in a sirokos,
found an aran,
flown to it,
have 20 marines on board,
ejected when about 200m away,
shot it with repair laser,
went to command console>piracy,
there's no 'board nearest ship' option, only 'board ship' and when clicked on the aran isn't in the sector map, launch all marines doesn't work either, everything needs a target and i can't get it to show up anywhere.
I tried getting back in and going to the command console ans same thing, but nothing will make 'board nearest ship' comes up. When i just out i get the foe beep, so it must be enemy to me
anyone possibly know what i'm doing wrong?

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Did you hit the Aran with your repair laser long enough to make it turn red?
I just read through the (to be) linked guide and that's the one thing you didn't mention.

Sounds likes you are doing things correctly.
But check this following guide--maybe there is something we both have missed:

http://roguey.co.uk/x3ap/help/guides/aran/

Osemaj

Osemaj avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 11 years ago.

Did you hit the Aran with your repair laser long enough to make it turn red?
- cjm3fl

yeah, i made sure i heard the beep Smile

Just realised what i'd done. It was stupid.
I didn't set the 'show as enemy if enemy to me' as yes, and as i have no current vendetta against goner ships, my sirokos wouldn't acgknowledge it as an enemy.
all's well, but the ship still blew up Cry
still, i can keep looking now and actually be able to board it
thanks man, and sorry for the inconvenience..

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Glad you got it figured out.

There's no inconvenience here...
A good question that will surely help me when I get around to capping my first Aran.

Better luck on your next one.
Let us know how you make out.

1 2 3 4 »

You need to log-in to post here.