What are the chances of "Rebirth"

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » What are the chances of "Rebirth"

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Egosoft released AP 3.0 after it was built and submitted to the development team by players. At that point they balance tested, created plots and added the content.

The release of AP 3.0 means at least 6 months of "buy" time to keep us fans from rioting while they get a beta version of Rebirth ready.

They are exactly where I thought they were, pre-alpha with Rebirth. They will have a beta out in December and baring problem a release at the very beginning of Q2 2014 or late Q1.

Sad and disappointing, by that time the full beta for SC will be out and 175k players will be playing it.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Holy crap, I was wrong... so very wrong.

They are not even done with concept art and rendering ship models... which means I highly doubt they have even started the plots. They are no where near an Alpha build for testing.

Q2 2014 is optimistic.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Can we get a new poll option... How about: "Interest for this game is completely dead"

Because it has been 48 hours since I posted a new X video and no one has a comment about it. Tells me no one gives a flying F about Rebirth anymore. In the mean time there was 12 new posts in the SC forum, even more than there was in the AP forum after 3.0 released this week LOL

jaml

jaml avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 10 years ago.

Barren, like You said, the problem is that (IMO) ppl feel cheated about Rebirth (I can add a pool about it). Becouse AP 3.0 is insignificant. We all was hoping to play Rebirth now, and as we can see in movie - its far from alpha. So every single day rebirth-fans become more frustrated...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me...
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Hey barren, sorry I didnt post earlier on this topic. I have been busy with updating the site and adding new content from X3AP v3.0. Activity wise, we are running at very high (most activity being on X3AP).

as for SC/Rebirth it looks both game wont be out for abit. Although with the new update to X3AP, we got to something to play in the mean time. I did think about rebirth the other day; and Egosoft have made some good games in the past. I do think building the engine from scratch has caused them massive delays, unlike SC where they have started with the crysis engine - in one of the hangman bar videos; they said they are getting help from the crysis engineers. I think egosoft havnt helped things, with the lack of info on rebirth however. SC seem to have a better community relationship, with the updates, videos etc. although x3ap v3.0 was a community effort, with egosoft's support.

Whatever happens, we should have some great space-games to play in the next year or so (thats the main thing). There is even Elite Dangerous to look forward too, as well. We should have some great gaming to look forward too whatever happens.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Roguey, it wasn't a dish on you at all. Just making an observation that here and even on the ES forums the reception of the new video was "Oh... Gee... Another video... hurah... Potato Chips."

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Oh I know m8, its fine. I think atm X3AP v3.0 is taking the lime-light.

Fallent

Fallent avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

I think the problems like you guys have already said. X3AP is just an extension of X3TC. That game was released in Oct 17th, 2008.

Even with X3AP receiving these free updates and added content it's still the same game. Same gameplay, same engine, same flaws, same limitations. Just with a few new goodies. It's been out for many years now and all the fans have played, completed and replayed it. There's ultimately only so long you can milk a single game. It's OLD! We're burnt out!

Personally I want Rebirth, and I want it now. I see these videos and they come across to me as stalling tactics. Like BarrenEarth said, Rebirth sounds no where near completed. Not as in give the game another month for finalising touches, but more like give the game another few years.

jjhawk

jjhawk avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 10 years ago.

Star citizen is adding content like multiplayer etc that Egosoft has refused to add and even on just that one point you can see Egosoft will be hard pressed to compete..

I would really love to see Rebirth do well, but I predict another missile spamfest game like X3 +... If they bring back a more immersive dogfighting experience like in the older titles it would be much better although the player ship you get is not exactly an m3 fighter so I have little faith In a return to the glory days..

My opinion may differ from others, but hey thats what opinions are for :P

Tonsilgon

Tonsilgon avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

Star Citizen WANTS (or promises) to add all that.
As far as I can see there is nothing more than a tech-demo, a lot of plans and a very professional PR-department that built a nice website with a lot of concepts and some WIP to collect money.
I agree that Egosoft would really need a little more of that PR-department to attract more people than the core of the people that play(ed) some of the existing X-games.

If I look at some of the concepts for SC, I very much doubt that all that will be done end of next year for some 10 Mio Dollars. Just to built - just say - 20 spaceships each with complete interior and a detail-level of some centimeters.... or 100's of spaceports on planets with buildings (look at those concepts of cities and landscapes) that are all different?

Not to speak of a WORKING simulated economy that will survive hundreds (thousands?) of players trying to cheat/make their fortune?

I very much hope that all that can be done because it simply sounds to good to be true. But I am still very sceptical.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Tonsilgon... You don't think Chris Roberts can do all that with 10 million?! Do you even know Egosoft's budget for Rebirth.

If investment money is what you gauge the quality or content at then you should steer clear of a release from Egosoft. I promise you they are spending no where near 10 million on Rebirth and it has probably gone over budget LOL

ThornandSpec

ThornandSpec avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

Tonsilgon... You don't think Chris Roberts can do all that with 10 million?! Do you even know Egosoft's budget for Rebirth.

If investment money is what you gauge the quality or content at then you should steer clear of a release from Egosoft. I promise you they are spending no where near 10 million on Rebirth and it has probably gone over budget
- BarrenEarth

Budget has nothing to do with it. It helps, yes, but what they really will need is time and they've put quite a lot of expectations into a short time frame, I personally wouldn't expect to see the full extent of their work in the Alpha and Beta stages, it will take a year or more to get all that awesomeness off the ground (and into space?), I don't doubt that they will, but I think it will take time.

There is a TON of work going into SC, and Tonsilgon is very right, you don't just buy graphics, you have to create it, hundreds of thousands of textures for just twenty space ships, functioning physics, including the gravity wells of planets, asteroids, space stations, and even other ships! Twenty working space ships with fully textured and eye catching interior, entire planets with explorable surfaces, just picture trying to reconstruct the earth on a computer, fully scaled, how crazy does that sound? Now multiply that by, what, one hundred?

The simulated economy will be a very interesting and tough one, like Tonsilgon said, there will be hundreds of thousands of players manipulating the economy 24/7 and you've seen how easy it is to get rich off of X3AP's economy, right? They will have to find ways to prevent this without taking away the manipulation at the same time, otherwise we'd have one side of billionaires and another one as a slum. There is an insane amount of math flying through that game, so many calculations and thousands of lines of code, one comma out of place and they have to go back and find it.

Now keep in mind that this isn't a big game company so sometimes they work full time and other days they don't do as much. Yes, they are well organized, but the head of development came out of retirement, he has a life, lol. This game is going to take a while to come out in full glory. Alpha and Beta mean that the game isn't fully constructed, it still has many bugs to fix, there is still content to be added, and performance issues to be fixed, it is operational and playable, however, unfinished.

It will be one of the most epic games ever made, but by the time everything is released it may be tied with the rest of the gaming work, or even left behind. Keep this in mind.

If my mission goal was pissing off the entire ATF fleet, then consider it a success!
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Eve-online does well with a 99% player driven economy... But let's get on to your other points.

Doing the graphics was as easy as Chris paying $2million for the CRE3 engine, he also built his own 3d Video booth studio... you know the kind that Egosoft has to rent. Further more the concept art for the game, well it is already his and already done since this is the Wing Commander universe evolved.

You realize this is the guy who made Privateer right? Who did Wing Commander series. He was creating video games before the guys at Egosoft had hairs on their nuts. Everything he has touched has turned to gold. He helped with Freelancer, he made movies and he now he is already beyond the point Egosoft is with Rebirth in half the time.

I know you are a fanboy of Egosoft, but the guy I like has actually done something. As much as I like playing X3:Reunion, the release sucked, the plot sucked more and the game was unplayable without mods from the talented people here on this site. It also looks like a lego model next to a battleship compared to Wing Commander IV.

Fallent

Fallent avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

I know you are a fanboy of Egosoft, but the guy I like has actually done something. As much as I like playing X3:Reunion, the release sucked, the plot sucked more and the game was unplayable without mods from the talented people here on this site. It also looks like a lego model next to a battleship compared to Wing Commander IV.
- BarrenEarth

It is hard to argue with this. X rebirth has very little, almost nothing to show for all these years it's been being developed. There's very little to indicate the games close to being finished and everything to indicate it's got a long way to go yet. Anyone and everyone stating the obvious with anything negative is shot down immediately on Egosofts forums. There's almost as many closed threads as there is open!

Chris Roberts has come along, got his money, rebuilt up his fan base, rented an engine and is already progressing full steam ahead with SC. It is quite frankly embarrassing compared to Egosofts performance.

Also, is it just me or does everyone on the Development videos seem kind of... Clueless as to what's going on? "We hope, we're unsure, maybe, might be 2013, we don't know yet?" etc... But maybe it's just me.

Tonsilgon

Tonsilgon avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

I don't know, what Chris Roberts can do with 10 million dollars.
I know the works of Chris Roberts! I don't know your gaming carrer, but I can surely remember installing Wing Commander 1 and 2 from floppy disk on my 60Mb Harddrive.
But game-development has changed a lot in the last 20 years. In 1992 (or even 1994 with WC 3) one person could make the model and the textures of a spaceship in maybe a week. Those space-ships they promise on the SC-site? 10 people and a month until all looks good and the mechanics "work"?
In 1992 a planet you could land on was a picture maybe with some textured cubes (as I can remember WC3). SC wants us to explore Crysis-3-like planets. Many of them. With different themes and maybe even different physics.

ThornandSpec already said some very true things about the simulated economy.
Some 20 years ago I was part of the development of a MUD called PaderMud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xyllomer)(later called Xyllomer) Most people playing nowadays surely never heard of a MUD (Multi-User-Dungeon).
If you compare this to a game like SC, it is like a stone-age club to a gattling gun. But it was already Multi-User and I surely learned something about the difficulties of programming such a kind of game.

Skyrim for example had 90 developers and a budget of 85 Million Dollars. And they did not develop the engine from scratch.
Crysis 3 cost 45 million euros (58 million dolars) to make. And most people working there already did 2 games of the same type.

So 10 Million for a project that is definitely not smaller than Skyrim or Crysis is very little. Even if the developer is Chris Roberts. (which I very much like - just as the others former members of Origin: Lord British and Warren Spector).
But even with his good ideas, he is a developer. Not a magician.

« 1 2 3 4 5 »

You need to log-in to post here.