What are the chances of "Rebirth"

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » What are the chances of "Rebirth"

ThornandSpec

ThornandSpec avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

Eve-online does well with a 99% player driven economy... But let's get on to your other points.
- BarrenEarth

Yes, the EVE online economy was 99%, but I'm sure you've heard about the huge ingame scandal that went down, A player got access to a number of ingame bank accounts, stole ingame currency and used it to boost himself, becoming nearly invincible. The entire EVE online world was affected by one player, and the EVE economy went through a series of changes to prevent this from happening again.

You realize this is the guy who made Privateer right? Who did Wing Commander series. He was creating video games before the guys at Egosoft had hairs on their nuts. Everything he has touched has turned to gold. He helped with Freelancer, he made movies and he now he is already beyond the point Egosoft is with Rebirth in half the time.
- BarrenEarth

yea, and those games are how old again? had like five polygons and ran on an ancient game engine. Maybe his work on movies would make a point except that even then he would have been on a team to get it done. the SC carrier itself has 7 million polygons! that's amazing.

It is hard to argue with this. X rebirth has very little, almost nothing to show for all these years it's been being developed. There's very little to indicate the games close to being finished and everything to indicate it's got a long way to go yet. Anyone and everyone stating the obvious with anything negative is shot down immediately on Egosofts forums. There's almost as many closed threads as there is open!
- Fallen

Egosoft has as much to show for XR as SC has, near identical screenshot count from what I've been able to locate, and you know what? It;s all concept art, and for all the talk about planets and space stations I'm sure not seeing any screenshots of that. All SC has right now is a deadline and a few ships and scenes, not even planet scenes.

I know you are a fanboy of Egosoft,...
- BarrenEarth

I am not an egosoft fanboy, I am an X series fanboy.

If my mission goal was pissing off the entire ATF fleet, then consider it a success!
Fallent

Fallent avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

@ ThornandSpec

Ahhh. I was like you. The thought of Rebirth gave me butterflies in my stomach. I was excited, defensive of the game, very eagerly anticipating it. I thought to myself what an amazing game this is going to be!

... That was nearly two years ago, when it was "expected" for release. But it's release date came, then it went and no game. Then came 2012, a new year, and it's release was just delayed for a better experience! Towards the end of 2012 there was a debate of Christmas release. But alas, there was none.

Fast forward even further to present and here we are, March 2013. Still no game. Still no marketing campaign. Still not even any sign of a release date!

Now, I just want the game released. Buggy state or not. It's been 6 years since the last original X release. my personal opinion is Egosoft are over their heads. A small team trying to play out of their league, and sadly they failed.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Again, you two amaze me. First you claim $10 million is not enough to make a good game, then you fail to realize the average budget for an X game us under $5 million.

Second, you guys like Freelancer? Yeah that was Chris too. That was 2003.

Next, Ever here of some of those great movies like "Lord of War", "Punisher"??? Again, Chris Roberts.

X3 is what it is, successful because Roguey, Cycrow, Apricotslice and others made it successful. The sign of a good game is not one that can be modded to hell and back, it is making a game that doesn't need mods in the first place.

ThornandSpec

ThornandSpec avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Again, you two amaze me. First you claim $10 million is not enough to make a good game, then you fail to realize the average budget for an X game us under $5 million.

Second, you guys like Freelancer? Yeah that was Chris too. That was 2003.

Next, Ever here of some of those great movies like "Lord of War", "Punisher"??? Again, Chris Roberts.

X3 is what it is, successful because Roguey, Cycrow, Apricotslice and others made it successful. The sign of a good game is not one that can be modded to hell and back, it is making a game that doesn't need mods in the first place.
- BarrenEarth

Firstly, we weren't comparing XR's budget with SC's, we were comparing huge, big name company budgets, which you failed to grasp, Star Citizen is promising a game world far greater than any seen so far with graphics that'll make you cry tears of joy. Skyrim had an $80+ million budget, look how that turned out and how long that took, and they already had a game engine to use! Star Citizen didn't! Something to be said of this, hm?

Freelancer? Which is now outdated and beaten by X3? Which is practically PS2 graphics? Which is not even remotely comparable to any modern game of the same genre, especially Star Citizen and X3 Albion Prelude? Games have changed my friend, you can't compare older, simpler works to their modern successors, they have very little in common.

You do realize that when you're making incredible movie animations that there is only animation involved, right? there isn't anyone going to be looking at all angles of an object, there isn't going to be a sophisticated AI script controlling it, there isn't a player behind its movements, and there isn't interaction between the world objects and characters, movies don't need that kind of graphics. All movie animators do is animate, they don't have to form fit them to a host of other objects in the world because they are animated frame by frame, all predeclared by the animators. In a game, the AI and PC will constantly be making choices which affect them differently each time. It is so irrelevant to compare movies to games, so don't.

X3 had to be made famous by wonderful sites like these because the genre ISN'T POPULAR!!!

As for modding, A good game is measured firstly by its vanilla and secondly by any new content, to say a game is ONLY as good as its vanilla is pure opinion.

@ ThornandSpec

Ahhh. I was like you. The thought of Rebirth gave me butterflies in my stomach. I was excited, defensive of the game, very eagerly anticipating it. I thought to myself what an amazing game this is going to be!

... That was nearly two years ago, when it was "expected" for release. But it's release date came, then it went and no game. Then came 2012, a new year, and it's release was just delayed for a better experience! Towards the end of 2012 there was a debate of Christmas release. But alas, there was none.

Fast forward even further to present and here we are, March 2013. Still no game. Still no marketing campaign. Still not even any sign of a release date!

Now, I just want the game released. Buggy state or not. It's been 6 years since the last original X release. my personal opinion is Egosoft are over their heads. A small team trying to play out of their league, and sadly they failed.
- Fallen

Vaporware until proven not vaporware, Star Citizen is no exception. I see minimal content from them so far, A few flying ships and no space stations or planets. I'm not putting in my cash with XR, but I'm leery about SC too.

If my mission goal was pissing off the entire ATF fleet, then consider it a success!
jjhawk

jjhawk avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 10 years ago.

I hope for the best for all three new space titles coming out In the near/distant future.. I say the more competition, the better the games we will get from it.. But for now I have dusted off my old x2 box and installed it...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

I wouldnt say throwing tons of cash at a game makes it good. I think GTA4 had like $100million, and that wasnt the best game ever (certainly not worth that much). Im not saying GTA4 was a bad game, just wasnt as good as San.

Usually its the teams with smaller budgets who do a better job. Those teams usually are more worried about making a good game (that sells well) rather than a game to fill-in a stop, or cos of a film release (like EA).

as for the next 3 space games, well there isnt a lot we can say/do. Atleast we got something to look forward to, as usally us space-fans get forgotten about.

ThornandSpec

ThornandSpec avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Yea, the space RPG genre is largely overlooked which is kinda sad, but most people follow the usual trend of games, maybe SC can change that?

Btw, does anybody know anything about the 3rd game in the lineup, Elite Dangerous? So far we seem to have overlooked it Undecided It looks pretty interesting, but that's all I can really say...

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

What would you know, another game, with real info a real time line some real communication and real graphics and game engine.

You know, one that isn't still in a pre-alpha paper drawn pre-render process lol.

Impressive forums, nice information and looks like they don't ban people for using the term Fan Boy.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4068791#4068791

"Wavion, you can't reason with these people. You see there is a level of elitism that is profound on these forums, bolstered by the fact that when dissent or some kind of criticism hits the boards it is promptly crushed.

No there is nothing special about Rebirth that can't be replicated or even improved upon in other games of the genre, you guys probably know less about Star Citizen or Elite than you do about Rebirth, which is saying a lot because we know next to nothing about Rebirth other than it is over schedule."

Quoting here to show those die hard Egosoft fans out there just how overly moderated those boards are. You see, boards like this, SC, Steam and several of the review sites forums are full of people angry and complaining about Egosoft. They just make sure to clean up their boards of any dissent. Under/Over on delete and another forum ban on 12 hours.

Fallent

Fallent avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

How come you haven't updated the site with the latest Rebirth video Roguey?

I want to talk about Rebirth but I dunno what else to say really...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Sorry about that. Ive just been busy writing them guides for v3.0 and had a little break from things. Writing 30+ pages takes a lot of effort for me Smile

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I want to talk about Rebirth but I dunno what else to say really...
- Fallent

I think you pretty much said it over on ES... the skull icon really was quite accurate.

Fallent

Fallent avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I think you pretty much said it over on ES... the skull icon really was quite accurate.

- BarrenEarth

hehehe glad you liked that Wink

ThornandSpec

ThornandSpec avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

No there is nothing special about Rebirth that can't be replicated or even improved upon in other games of the genre, you guys probably know less about Star Citizen or Elite than you do about Rebirth, which is saying a lot because we know next to nothing about Rebirth other than it is over schedule."
- BarrenEarth

Actually we know that the game will be expanding on the X universe, alot like the previous X games, it's easy to hate what you don't have...

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

BarrenEarth said:No there is nothing special about Rebirth that can't be replicated or even improved upon in other games of the genre, you guys probably know less about Star Citizen or Elite than you do about Rebirth, which is saying a lot because we know next to nothing about Rebirth other than it is over schedule."

Actually we know that the game will be expanding on the X universe, alot like the previous X games, it's easy to hate what you don't have...
- ThornandSpec

Whatever that means :p

I can tell you what I am not looking forward to is 30 more sectors of complete worthless space that I can't interact with 99% of it and is filled with ships that have no purpose, direction or interaction. But to each their own.

« 1 2 3 4 5 »

You need to log-in to post here.