Egosoft and Rebirth

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Egosoft and Rebirth

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Any time you admit you are not yet to Code Freeze, or Feature Freeze, or whatever your definition they want to use for it is but you have been working on the source code for 5 years, you have a problem.

No game engine, graphics engine or car engine should take 5 years to develop and still not be complete.

I also worry about when it does come out, are we looking at a very dumbed down, console type game with appeal to less critical thinking players?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

I agree, I didnt realize it was 5 years ago: now come to think about it, I do now remmeber somewhere about egosoft saying they been working on it for a long time. Which kind-of doesnt explain dev video which seem so little 'down the track'. As you said, surely after such time they should be looking at balance/game-play rather than design core graphics such as sun/planets etc.

If egosoft does show more dev videos, hopefully the new videos will show a more completed product, has its current state looks rather worrying after such a long time in development. It starting to remind me of Duke Nukem forever.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

They made the claim when I called them out on development time that they started the new engine right after what they self admit was a total failure of X3 REUNION... That would put it beyond 5 years actually.

Fallent

Fallent avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hey, glad to register and be here on your forums Roguey.

My take on all of this is I'm personally annoyed. There was so much expectation and guessing during 2012 as to the release date. Egosoft must of known there was NO chance at all of it making 2012, even long before the end. They could of thrown their fans a bone. Stopped us all guessing, hoping and just said "look, it's 2013 release now, we're adding that extra to make the game great."

The fact that's its now April 2013, and still not Beta build has me really worried about the state of the game. I think they hugely under estimated how hard it would be to create the engine.

Edit: Thought about changing the site to Star Citizen? You'd be overloaded with news and updates!

jack775544

jack775544 avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 11 years ago.

Well it isn't really Egosofts fault for the lack of info.
Deep Silver is responsible for all outgoing info and like most publishers they are going for the Soviet Russia style of distributing information to the wider world.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Hi and welcome to the site fallent Wave I know how you feel.

Surely ego has some say over what news and info is posted? The current marketing plan is just crazy, its like someone wants to brush rebirth under the carpet. So is the problem with deep sliver, and not ego?

As for another game, I was thinking about that myself. I dont want to see this site die. I keep holding out encase rebirth suddenly becomes a reality.. but like all, I'm slowly losing hope - like you said 'Throw us an bone'. Months just go by, and little more is known. However where to go from here.. im totally unsure. I do hope rebirth isnt vaporware.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

The last making of video shows some menu (which look as ass backwards as X3) and some of the ship cockpit in the background...

Then I realized there was what appears to be an XBOX controller in front of the guy... while he was messing with Rebirth... he even touched it in the very beginning, kinda pushed it away... And my stomach got all twisted and sick like.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

What is (will be) new in AP 3.0? what do you expect?

I guess it will just add some content such as new sectors and ships, and most importantly I hope there will be new plot and some improvement for the war and the terran commander start-scenario.

But the surprise would be if the Kha'ak is back again, it will be very interesting update for the game.

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Then I realized there was what appears to be an XBOX controller in front of the guy.

Where did you see that? I didnt notice a xbox controller in any of the videos? Confused

and most importantly I hope there will be new plot and some improvement for the war and the terran commander start-scenario.

I guess you didnt read the x-news released around xmas: X-News 49, scroll down to New X3AP update in the works

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Then I realized there was what appears to be an XBOX controller in front of the guy.
Where did you see that? I didnt notice a xbox controller in any of the videos?

and most importantly I hope there will be new plot and some improvement for the war and the terran commander start-scenario.
I guess you didnt read the x-news released around xmas: X-News 49, scroll down to New X3AP update in the works
- Roguey

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Oh, I havnt seen that video before... although it was only added a day ago. hmm.. being in German isnt very helpful for me. hmmm... it looks like you can put English subtitles on.

Is it me, or each video I see im getting more and more worried about Rebirth. He said some-things havnt been 'finalized yet'? eh? still? wasnt the game supposed to be released a year ago at one point? surely things like the story should be finalized by now?

oh, and your right. that does look like an xbox360 controller, although im not surprised to be honest. In X3AP v3.0 there is supposedly xbox360 support added, so it be crazy to not have it on rebirth.

ps. man, what a goaty!

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

OMG, the return of the MS FLight simulator hidden top F1, F2, F3 menu!!!! NOOOOOO

This video shows the exact same background as the last one but it is not hidden. Now I am very worried, they appear to be stuck on getting this game to work multi-threaded which is no easy task and scaling across cores and threads can be a pain and in some times hinder performance.

Also I think the game looks like crap so far, but they are so very very far away from release.

Fallent

Fallent avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hmmm. To be honest I like the one ship, a crew, new engine direction they're going in. From what I've seen of the game so far I think it looks pretty good.

But meh, game doesn't exactly sound like it's getting released anytime soon. I still can't believe we've gone from 2012 to Q4 2013 :

What do you think the reason for these "making of" videos is? Perhaps a release at the end of them? Or just because lots of people are jumping ship straight to SC?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Thanks for letting me know, ive posted news of the video on the my rebirth site.

It does look like they were well off with a 2012 release, im thinking more likely 2014 the more I see of these videos; even the story-line has yet to be finalized.

as for the graphics, its hard to see... although in every shot, the ship's deck takes up like half the screen, hopefully there is a way to reduce it.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Every video I have seen looks like the same sector or system. It is very raw and there are obvious areas you can see where they have yet to render an object. They are so far away from release that Early 2014 would be optimistic. The original release date was 2011 by the way. Announced April 10th 2011 for a December 15th 2011 release date. All those release dates are gone now including the December 2012 ones that were up just a few weeks ago.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

You need to log-in to post here.