Egosoft and Rebirth

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Egosoft and Rebirth

thefinn

thefinn avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

I'm still wrapping my head around "No SETA".

Will I have to find the longest "highway" and just go zipping back and forth until a particular job is done ?

jjhawk

jjhawk avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 10 years ago.

I could be wrong, but I have a sneaky suspicion about the "NO SETA" being In game and to me it is plainly obvious..

If I was to say this word on the Egosoft forum I would be flamed to oblivion..... Are you ready for the big swear word? " MULTIPLAYER"

ThornandSpec

ThornandSpec avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

I could be wrong, but I have a sneaky suspicion about the "NO SETA" being In game and to me it is plainly obvious..

If I was to say this word on the Egosoft forum I would be flamed to oblivion..... Are you ready for the big swear word? " MULTIPLAYER"
- jjhawk

I think rebirth has alot more in store than many people are giving it credit for, they've been working on it for a long time from what I hear.

If my mission goal was pissing off the entire ATF fleet, then consider it a success!
thefinn

thefinn avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

Well I am kind of new to the game, but did think it looked very suited to client-server. Kind of like minecraft where you run a server and people just connect and play at their leisure. Not sure if it would ever get considered Wink

However, personally, I am kind of hoping the send the game in more of a AAA direction - like bring the lore up to date and UI - I like the game as-is apart from improvements I can see could be made in those areas.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I appreciate your enthusiasm boys... please take me seriously when I tell you I hope you are not deathly disappointed when Rebirth turns into X4 with graphics that are ho hum and a story line that sucks donkey balls.

Also, we are going to get tired of the drones and one ship thing real quick. No Seta does not mean multiplayer, it means they are trying to get the most processing power out of the single logic core and 2 GB of memory allowed on a 32-bit application.

I underlined a point that is going to be contested... I know they are trying to scale the game to multiprocessors, but the trick with 32-bit applications is how much you can do without Windows 7 multi-core support. 32-bit simply has very weak application multi-core addressing for processes. More likely they will use core for graphics, one for some background and if we are lucky one for immediate processing.

ThornandSpec

ThornandSpec avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

I appreciate your enthusiasm boys... please take me seriously when I tell you I hope you are not deathly disappointed when Rebirth turns into X4 with graphics that are ho hum and a story line that sucks donkey balls.
- BarrenEarth

I'm sorry, exactly what makes you think that just because the game runs on a crappy engine makes you think that the plot automatically sucks? That's just poor and biased judgement. The game's graphics could suck and the plot and gameplay could make the game worth playing. As for the graphics, they have done an overhaul and will look beautiful either way, maybe your Star Citizen has better graphics, that doesn't make XR's any less impressive.

If my mission goal was pissing off the entire ATF fleet, then consider it a success!
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

BarrenEarth said:I appreciate your enthusiasm boys... please take me seriously when I tell you I hope you are not deathly disappointed when Rebirth turns into X4 with graphics that are ho hum and a story line that sucks donkey balls.

I'm sorry, exactly what makes you think that just because the game runs on a crappy engine makes you think that the plot automatically sucks? That's just poor and biased judgement. The game's graphics could suck and the plot and gameplay could make the game worth playing. As for the graphics, they have done an overhaul and will look beautiful either way, maybe your Star Citizen has better graphics, that doesn't make XR's any less impressive.
- ThornandSpec

Because Egosoft is known for two things... A really buggy release and a really short, crappy and non-depth filled plot.

We don't play X games for the plot

Tonsilgon

Tonsilgon avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

BarrenEarth wrote:
Also while you got the basic gist of what I was saying I was also saying the the world itself in Skyrim, Fallout, and many other games is 1000 times larger. There are what, less than 300 sectors in the unmodded game, most empty. Gate to gate, this game is rather small for something that professes to be a behemoth of sandbox adventure.
===================
Concerning "the world itself" you are right.
But the big difference is, that in Skyrim nothing happens with the world, when it is OOS. People are not simulated, plants and animals "sleep" until they are loaded the next time the player enters the area. Then the system decides what they are doing at that moment and they start doing just that.
As far as I understand, in X there is a simulated economy, that depends on frighters carrying goods from one station to another. All that traffic and the amount of goods in ALL the stations is simulated continuously. Fights are simulated and they do not start, because some number generator generates a random number and "decides", that your freighter is attacked at some moment, but by the fact that the simulated paths of your frighter and some pirates cross each other.

So the world of Skyrim might be larger concerning the number of objects, but the simulation itself is more demanding in the X-games.

P.S. Why did quotation not work for my post?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

hey Tonsilgon, welcome to the site. You cant quote yet, as you need to get a couple of levels on the site.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6

You need to log-in to post here.