What do you think of X Rebirth?

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » What do you think of X Rebirth?

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

Just wondering what's taking too long, shouldn't Rebirth have been released by now?! Hopefully it will be worth this delay.

Since there is not much things to do right now about the game (I've honestly got bored of X3) and Egosoft seems... well, have i said that we hope it'll be worth the delay; I'd like to talk with you gentlemen about how much, do you think, X Rebirth could be better than X3.

What i think (from what I've read in the Egosoft forum):

-For navigation and universe design: i'm relatively convinced about the concepts of zones, sectors and clusters, well the size of zones is nearly equivalent (i think) to what was known in X3 as sectors but sectors in Rebirth is quite larger as each sector is a group of zones connected by local highways, while a cluster (e.g a solar system) is a group of sectors connected by super-highways (or gates), and we can break (whenever we want) from local highways but not the super ones because the space between sectors is not permitted (the space could be extremely/insanely large if it is, you know); so i can imagine the practical space in Rebirth is something like 10x larger than that in X3, right?

Also note that the local highways replace SETA (but only at the highways themselves not anywhere else), and while the max value for seta was 10 (there were some issues especially with greater SETA factors btw, for me the best setting was 5x without problems), the new highway system could even have bigger factors. But since there are a number of highways whithin each sector, we may no longer need seta?

-For other aspects like graphics/UI and gameplay, well... i should wait till you reply then i may continue. Smile

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

For some reason, we were talking about this in the recent Star Citizen Forum post; this link: http://www.egosoft.com/news/current_en.php was posted, which suggests they want it out this year. Whether that's actually gonna happen? Well, who knows, because I'm pretty sure as hell they don't! I'm not really looking forward to X:R anymore, it's been too long, and I don't want to be disappointed if it never does. Though, to look on the bright side, Ego were never the ones to give lots of information and screenshots about their older games; they would only trickle out the very occasional trailer, but mostly keep people in the dark. This means that lack of information doesn't always mean lack of game....

I will be the one to take you down!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Well, I think its not a case of want this year, its that they need it to be released this year. Although im feeling they already left too late. The steam sale doesnt help things, so many great games on discount which is bound to keep you going for awhile (well me anyway).

When XR is out, I will be able to post about things.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I understand, i just wanted to talk/comment since there's nothing... whatever Sad. So, would we just wait?... Its ok Egosoft take your time... what shall i do? let me help you then, i could have been finished it by last year if i were you! no i'm kidding Bricks

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I was rather slow to read (Here and egosoft) about Rebirth, perhaps I didn't share other peoples' haste or impatience! But it seems that while the majority of the disappointed peoples' main issue is with release dates being put back, at least some of the comments are just to do with personal preferences or not reading the announcements carefully enough. For example, although the types of Drone are not fully listed the main point seems clear, i.e. the Drone dies and the player doesn't! This seems an obvious response to the number of forum users who prefer to fly something that steers better than a block of flats, and maybe the M6 class has been explored fully. Obviously even the most anxious want it to be fully ready when released.
To fill in the expanding gap ....... I live in hope that some of the enthusiastic and able people who can write mods will develop TC/AP as Reunion was extended, but not necessarily in the same ways. It would be fantastic if some of the talents out in Forumland canvassed opinion about possible directions to go in, or discussed outlines for plots/achievements.
My input.........As much older and less complex games relied on your forces gaining experience, it has always surprised me that from the Bonus pack onwards Traders gain expertise that lets them do more, but fighter and corvette pilots don't! No commander would make a birthday present of an aircraft carrier to a raw recruit so he can wrap it around the nearest obstacle.

@ Roguey :- Hope the release comes before you run out of 'Steam.'

I am an Alien!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Its ok Egosoft take your time... what shall i do? let me help you then, i could have been finished it by last year

Well you could join the NDA L5, and help test.

@ Roguey :- Hope the release comes before you run out of 'Steam.'

haha, very funny. So I gather im being watched on what I do there? hmmm

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

My input.........As much older and less complex games relied on your forces gaining experience, it has always surprised me that from the Bonus pack onwards Traders gain expertise that lets them do more, but fighter and corvette pilots don't! No commander would make a birthday present of an aircraft carrier to a raw recruit so he can wrap it around the nearest obstacle.
- AlphanInfidel

If you want named pilots who gain experience (and an awesome Carrier management script to boot!), then I cannot recommend the CODEA mod highly enough. In fact, the original Mk3 Trader, CAG and CLS Scripts were written by Lucike, the same guy who wrote CODEA.

On topic: I don't know if this is just me, but I don't care anymore if/when Rebirth comes out. Considering the competition it'll be up against when it does (I'm looking at you SC), and the sheer lack of advertising and sale support Ego have done, I think it'll get left on most people's backburner. And I say that as a die-hard X fan! I've loved every game Ego have put out to date, but they've just left it too long since announcement. Yes, it looks pretty, yes the concept is very cool...

...but I'm not bothered. Honest Wink

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

@ Roguey, you said i could join the NDA L5 and help test, well i do want to help but first... what is L5, how does that NDA work and how can i join it? i've never joined any tests before.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

@ Roguey, you said i could join the NDA L5 and help test, well i do want to help but first... what is L5, how does that NDA work and how can i join it? i've never joined any tests before.

Yeah, I was confused about it too. You first need to head over to the egosoft forum, then add your details to your profile to reach L3. Then to reach L5 you need to print out the NDA form and send it to egosoft (via email). Hopefully you should receive something in the post within a week or two. After-which you enter your code and reach L5.

...but I'm not bothered. Honest

I can completely understand where you are coming from m8. Ego hasnt done a good job with their public relations.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Oh man, I don't even know what level my profile is nor where is the NDA form you're talking about, it looks like I am the one who needs help not Egosoft, lol. Well at least I've managed to upload my avatar, not bad.

I know it maybe too late to join tests of Rebirth but I wasn't intending to do so untill you pointed it out and i began to think of it, thanks. Smile

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Thanks,Kirlack! I'll try it (CODEA) as soon as I go modded, which won't be long now as I've had just about enough of searching in UFJDLand for no returns!

I am an Alien!
Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I wanted to continue what I was saying at the first post in this topic:

Drones: there is a wide variety of drones with different designs and applications, fighter drones are one example. And there is three ways to control them: remotely (using a virtual reality environment), via commands or even autonomously (they have AI).

So drones should be much more interesting, don't you think?

Capital ships: it seems that we can own capital ships (transporters, destroyers, carriers... etc) and control them by giving orders to thier captains, and this is not a bad idea btw since the AI should be much better. So the player is the captain of one ship but the commander of an entire fleet, right?

Complexity: stations and capital ships are much more detailed and we can design/build them in a more advanced way, see Building for more info.

For more information on drones and capital ship control, see this link.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Oh man, I don't even know what level my profile is nor where is the NDA form you're talking about, it looks like I am the one who needs help not Egosoft, lol. Well at least I've managed to upload my avatar, not bad.

I can understand, the whole process isnt very well explained. It also looks like its been tagged-on as well, which doesnt look very professional.

hmm.. I still dont think drones are any kind-of replacement for switching ships. I did think ego may try and use them as secondary ships, ie. in a fighter drone we like in a M5, in another drone we like a M4 or something. However not to be change ships is a big loss.

Capital ships: it seems that we can own capital ships (transporters, destroyers, carriers... etc) and control them by giving orders to thier captains

Once again I feel another step backwards. We could have 100+ million credits in our account, yet still be flying in the skunk. Are you wanting to fly one ship for 500+ hours? In the same time in X3AP you probably flown 50? ships (each with different flying styles).

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Are you wanting to fly one ship for 500+ hours? In the same time in X3AP you probably flown 50? ships (each with different flying styles).

Yes you're right... But they said we won't be sitting in the cockpit and steer capital ships anymore simply because that is boring. Well if that is boring as they say, what about corvettes with different designs and specs, not to mention other ship classes? but they would answer: your corvette is heavily upgradable, you can install many equipments, wide variety of weapons and drones, shield generators...etc.

And for fighters, we may not pilot them directly but at least we still can have fighter wings not just fighter drones.

Anyway, I'm not sure though untill the game is out, and we will see.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I can understand, the whole process isnt very well explained. It also looks like its been tagged-on as well, which doesnt look very professional.

hmm.. I still dont think drones are any kind-of replacement for switching ships. I did think ego may try and use them as secondary ships, ie. in a fighter drone we like in a M5, in another drone we like a M4 or something. However not to be change ships is a big loss.

Capital ships: it seems that we can own capital ships (transporters, destroyers, carriers... etc) and control them by giving orders to thier captains
Once again I feel another step backwards. We could have 100+ million credits in our account, yet still be flying in the skunk. Are you wanting to fly one ship for 500+ hours? In the same time in X3AP you probably flown 50? ships (each with different flying styles).
- Roguey

I agree, the process is never explained well. But what I can tell you is how it went for me. First you go to your profile and scroll to the bottom. There is a check box thingy asking if you want to participate in DevNet. When you select this and save your profile you become Lvl 1

Then you go back into your profile and you have to fill out personal information about yourself. Name, Address stuff like that. When you save that info you before Lvl 3

Then you go BACK into your profile and you will see a link to information to become a Lvl 5. This includes a PDF file that needs to be printed, signed, mailed or scanned and emailed back. Signing the NDA is kinda a big deal, because from that point on Egosoft owns what you say and who you can say it to. But once you submit it to them prepare to wait about 3-4 weeks. You will get a package in the mail with the NDA signed by Bernd or one of their officers and information about access codes to beta work.

Also there will be about 10 new forums open up at Egosoft.com

And that is all I can say really

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

It looks more complicated than what I thought Cuckoo, Lvl 0 is fine for me then, I just want to play the game that's all.

Thanks BarrenEarth for the information anyway. And btw have you joined any tests? Rebirth or Star Citizen? Smile

1 2 3 4 5 »

You need to log-in to post here.