Have you pre-ordered Rebirth?

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Have you pre-ordered Rebirth?

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

If it's free patches, then that's fair enough. But if Ego expect people to pay out a 2nd/3rd/4th time for DLC that contains fixes etc, they're going to alienate a lot of their core supporting fans. I certainly wouldn't purchase a game with the expectation of having to pay out again just to make it play as it should.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Yes but even you have to admit much of the games rules are hard coded in the executable this time... so while we can mod many things easy, the core of the game is locked out now.

I know many things in the older games were hard-coded however x-r is a completely different engine. I havnt really adventured into whats hard coded myself. I was going to look into if its possible to change ships, but havnt got around to it yet. However the whole structure of the game is more on display than ever, and ive seen a few mentions of mod support.

As for DLC - not many companies nowadays offer free DLC's (new missions, units etc.), if egosoft still does that then its its rarely. Many developers (such as EA) make a crazy amount of dlc's (they gone the other extreme). I personally dont think DLC is a bad thing if it adds a good amount of content (why ditch a game, when it can be expanded?). I do not know egosoft's plan's with patches/DLC.

ps. I agree with Kirlack, DLC's shouldnt be an excuses to patch things. Patching the game should always be free, DLC's for more content.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

First of all this video describes the game in Alpha State... not good if its only 9 weeks to release.

Second joystick support is not working yet... wouldn't that be the first thing you get working, why the importance at making Gamepads work first, more specifically XB1 game pads. Eek

This game has fail written all over it.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Except that he's not just presenting his own opinion. There are a lot of folks, me included, that rather liked the 'old' game mechanics and just wanted to see a newer, better, expanded version of what we loved to play. Razz
- Link #1

Yet another Moderator breaking rank. This time Nanook of all people. I wonder how colorful the discussion begins once the game is sold to new customers who have never played X before. There will be an influx of non-loyal posters and Egosoft will find out what it feels like to be EA or Paradox.

Just gets better. Mod again:
Which has nothing to do with my point. A cleaner interface, better tutorials, more ingame help, etc., and even a new game engine does not mean they had to create what's apparently an entirely different game style. Losing the ability to fly any ship, walking around stations in first person mode, having the NPC's do all the fun stuff - that's not what I consider a move in the right direction for an X game. Even now, there's people in another thread arguing that the NPC character models aren't good enough and need eye blinks! Good grief, what does that really have to do with an X game? I don't want GTA in space. Rolling Eyes
- Link #2

[Roguey] Added links to posts, hope you dont mind - although just re-forces things Smile

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

That auto-levelling flight mechanic you said about, and seems to show in the trailer, annoys me. As far as I'm concerned, it's a hinderance as the guns aren't centred on the ship, meaning that the ship will keep automatically rolling in a combat sitch, which affects the firing point of the weapon, which could spoil your aim temporarily.

It's a space sim. That isn't needed.

I will be the one to take you down!
Hammerit

Hammerit avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 10 years ago.

Well if they make the auto-leveling triggerable like any halfway decent game designer would it could actually help in some situations. I always level out after dogfights anyways to get my bearings again. But so far Egosoft has always chosen the easiest way out when it came to flight control features so I kind of doubt it.

I mean sweet jesus even X3 AP still uses that crappy linear autopilot without sweeps. Using linear collision prediction in a concave environment cannot work. That's physics 101. I pray they've finally fixed this in Rebirth.

Remember Freelancer? Came out around the same time as X2 and already had a spline based autopilot with sweeps that made collisions with random objects near impossible while it was turned on. Even the AI in Freespace was better and that game's 15 years old.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I wouldn't care if the auto-correct was toggle-able but the problem is and has been pointed out the everything in the demo sector was made along that same plane. So therefore we have 2D sectors, 2D zones whatever. This hurts the depth of the game, space is 3D and should be utilized as such. Especially if they are getting rid of the 2D map system like they claim.

ThornandSpec

ThornandSpec avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

Hello all, it's been awhile and I've been reading around about rebirth, and I can honestly say that I feel betrayed, only one player ship?!?! Back in my day, we could fly any ship we wanted! Cuss I mean, it looks beautiful, and running it will hardly be an issue for me with my brand new machine just around the corner, but now I'm going to wait for the release before I even think of touching the purchase button! Very disappointed, I can stand a beta, a few bugs here & there, but changing the entire game style just turns me off. Read

If my mission goal was pissing off the entire ATF fleet, then consider it a success!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

hmm - I hope you dont mind Barren but I added some link tags to your quotes (to make it easier to see on the ES boards). Without those links its very hard to find them on the ES boards (it helps me see them posts). For someone banned there, you seem very eager to keep an eye on thing there?

as for things;

well, auto-correction isnt too bad to be honest. Most of the time in X3AP/TC id end up rolling myself to get things the 'right way up' (being up-side-down can make it confusing where you are) - ie. you can lose your bearings. So it could actually been seen as a good thing.

as for Nanook, well cant blame him for his comments; but I cant say too much (because of the NDA). However since being there - egosoft are getting stick from both sides. Dev's and testers rarely talk, and someone told me the dev's arent gamers (which I found disheartening). Maybe things were different a few years back, although I wasnt there then.

I probably know more than most testers (L5/6) (maybe even than most of ES employees - not sure on that one), because ive been busy; maps/highways actually feel quite good (yea im surprised to say that myself). The only real gripe is the one-player ship - has so many have touch on (Drones arent replacements for other ships!). If ego announced that players could change ships (after release) for me; X-R change over-night.

oh, and for performance - I wouldnt read too much into it atm. I pretty sure its just unoptimized atm.

I would run my above post pass CBJ (ie. its sticking to the NDA) but ive been told he's too busy, and im too much bother.

Hammerit

Hammerit avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 10 years ago.

Well I'll just wait for the first playable version that includes all features and buy that one. Whenever it may be released. Did that with all X titles after X2 and it hasn't failed me once Wink. I don't mind the longer wait, got loads of other stuff to do anyway.

I usually don't give a flying toss about what reviewers think about a game I'm interested in. Quite the opposite in fact. If the game receives abysmal reviews I'm ever the more curious if it's really that bad or the publisher just didn't rent enough ad space Smile.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Thanks for the honesty Roguey.

I think many here would agree that waiting for reviews to come out, WW3 to end on the forums and the price to go down to the level I feel comfortable and the bugs worked out is the smart route.

But I probably won't buy anyways, this game just depresses me with the direction it went.

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Surprised to see Nanook's name mentioned in this context. Maybe shows murmurs of discontent among the populace are on the rise! Thanks for the informed opinions Roguey, looking forward to more.

I am an Alien!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

no problem guys, ill be able to post a lot more after the release, including thoughts and decisions. I guess its still possible for things to change too, but I guess its very doubtful so near release. I do want to point-out Egosoft do support their games after release unlike a lot of over developers.

I do agree with egosoft (about X-R), X-R needs to be released sooner than later - its already been too late.

If egosoft do try to add in more features now, then its not going to happen this year.

rhohltjr

rhohltjr avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

For what it is worth, the US Distributor TriSynergy has posted the ability/opportunity to pre-order the PC DVD boxed version. To include Game, Music score, and other stuff. I am assuming this is the English version however it didn't specifically state English. Smile

X-Rebirth is released and there was much rejoicing. Obamacare website developers point and proclaim "Yes, the website and UCA sucks, but we're not the worst,...no, not the worst anymore."
rhohltjr

rhohltjr avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

One good thing about waiting till the boxed version is delivered, is the tidal-wave of hands on opinions starting on Nov 15th. I am very interested in these early opinions!!!:p

@Roguey. Are you the same Roguey seen sometimes at MatrixGames forums? WitpAE?

X-Rebirth is released and there was much rejoicing. Obamacare website developers point and proclaim "Yes, the website and UCA sucks, but we're not the worst,...no, not the worst anymore."
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »

You need to log-in to post here.