Do you think your pc is up for Rebirth?

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Do you think your pc is up for Rebirth?

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

@SMITHY77
Your rage at steam is misplaced. Egosoft doesn't issue codes for AP. As CBJ said:
Regarding the lack of registration code, once again it has nothing to do with Steam. The registration code primarily provides you with access to the Tech Support forum. Since X3TC and X3AP share a Tech Support forum and you have to own and have a registration code for X3TC in order to play X3AP, there is no need for X3AP to have one.

The TC code can be accessed very easily on steam.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
SMITHY77

SMITHY77 avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

I tried though. It wasn't just just AP, TC was the same. I have duplicate copies now, because it was the only site I could get it and it didnt "see" my registration codes when I tried to add it to my library before buying it.

It's not the cost as its really bugger all compared to buying it from a store, just that it's like a lockdown on availability.

Steam has given me issues over the years though Seygantte, far easier to expect them to have failed than another had. But apologies to steam. . . If they ever bother to send me my customer support login details . . .

Toetap LOL

Buuuut back to the topic I still say I will be sitting there in spacedock while the old granny in the spacesuit buzzes by me waiting for the lag to catch up.

Anticitizen1

Anticitizen1 avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 11 years ago.

I should be good, my specs are:

CPU: Core i5 2500
RAM: 8Gb
Storage: 128 Gb OCZ SSD
Video Card: AMD 6990
Keyboard: Black Widow
Mouse: Rat 7

nosscar

nosscar avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

hi guys, new to this forum. I have some questions I would like your opinion on.
firstly I have played x3 games before and loved them, all except x3 albion prelude. this was because I had an amd a6 series 3620. quad core. the game blue screened or crashed out all the time. Will this hopefully be solved in rebirth. I am also getting a Nvidia gtx 560 ti graphics card installed. will my amd a6 3620 cpu along with this card allow me to play x rebirth on reasonable, playable settings. I have got 8gb ddr3 ram installed already. thanks for any advice.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Considering the fact that an 8-core AMD processor based computer with a 7970 AMD graphics card (the fastest single GPU on the market) was being bogged down at slightly above normal graphics settings at Gamescom I think we are all in for a ride.

Egosoft says not to worry because the demo didn't have optimizations in it yet... I say at 9 weeks to game launch Optimizations should already be in and done testing.

The game is in Alpha, expect it to run as Alpha trash on your computer.

Hammerit

Hammerit avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 10 years ago.

Egosoft says not to worry because the demo didn't have optimizations in it yet... I say at 9 weeks to game launch Optimizations should already be in and done testing.
- BarrenEarth

There's something new. Looking at how "well" the scriptcode of X3 AP is optimized I'm wondering if they ever even started optimizing that game.

However to be fair the versions of the X games egosoft has shown in germany in the past have always required super computers from outer space to run at stable 20fps.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Well AMD arent the fastest for single core processing. Okay an 8 core cpu has more cores, but I did read somewhere that AMD CPU's share one part between 2 cores, and why normally an Intel chip can beat an AMD with twice as many cores.

I did also read somewhere else that more cores offer a diminishing effect on the performance of game. ie. its a lot harder to get 8 threads to all finish at the same time rather than 4, or less. Intel also does a little trick here with HT (where it can manage the threads to keep the CPU 'busy' ). I would suggest an Intel core for gaming, than AMD (but thats just my thoughts). Both AMD/Intel cores should be good.

Egosoft said that X-R tries to balance the CPU/GPU better than X3AP/TC however X-R is still a very cpu bound game.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

It is a calculation in algebra. Basically because there is only so many things that can be accessed at the same time by separate cores there is only so much benefit per extra core.

Say you have 1-10 worth of tasks. And they have to be completed in order, then one core does 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10 in that order and it is 100% efficient. Adding a second core means core 1 does 1 then core 2 does 2, core 1 does 3 then core 2 does 4... this is 50% efficient.

Now say you have 1-10 and A1-A10 and B1-B10 Tasks A and B must be completed before next level

1 Core = 1, A1, B1, 2, A2, B2 and so on doing all 30 tasks
2 Core = Core1 1, Core2 A1 then Core1 B1, Core2 Idle, Core1 2, Core2 A2 then Core1 B2, Core2 Idle and so on

Now with 2 cores you complete the chain of tasks 33% faster, but the entire system is only 75% efficient.

This is a combination of several laws but the predominant one is Amdahl's law. Only the parts of code that can be utilized independently of other code can be optimized, thus the diminishing returns on multiple cores.

AMD started putting their memory controllers directly on the die of the CPU, giving it an advantage in memory intensive games but Intel focused on raw power to each core and have them act more or less independent of them. Remember that the first Core 2 Duos were just two Pentium III (Most efficient processor until Sandy Bridge) slapped together on the same die.

Edit: I apologize for the math speak and all, I am an accountant by trade, project manager and statistical analysis and forecaster by title. I do project management for software and hardware integration for a living.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 10 years ago.

My signature contains my PC specs, I think I can handle Rebirth, but I am am still running OB graphics (1GB DDR3). So I may need to upgrade that first.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

What Graphics card do you use Bozo? It's the only one your banner doesn't say

I will be the one to take you down!
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Your onboard graphics are going to cry if you try and run rebirth.

just make sure you research the card you want to get to make sure there are not huge glitches with your Ubuntu setup, I know some of the cards out there don't play nice with linux distros.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

I got a Nvidia 660 Ti, which can run pretty well any game I can find, so I'm hoping I'll be alright... We'll find out eventually though...

I will be the one to take you down!
Hammerit

Hammerit avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 10 years ago.

I still use my good old Gainward GTX 460 GS-GLH EE. Might not be up to the challenge of Rebirth. But then again Egosoft games usually mostly ignore the graphics card anyway and just suck the live our of whatever one CPU core they can find.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Say you have 1-10 worth of tasks. And they have to be completed in order, then one core does 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10 in that order and it is 100% efficient. Adding a second core means core 1 does 1 then core 2 does 2, core 1 does 3 then core 2 does 4... this is 50% efficient.

hehe, yea you explained it in much greater detail; having more cores doesnt mean a game can be x amount faster. Code needs to be done in a set order, and I would favour the faster cores over the amount of cores (especially in gaming).

as for graphics, on-board wont really be up to it with X-R. However what exact card will be good enough is a large question.

@Hammerit, X-R still favours the cpu more than the gpu, but there's supposed to be a better balance than before.

redheart

redheart avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 10 years ago.

CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 3.35 GHz
GPU: Radeon Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5
RAM: 16.0 gb
Sound: Realtek High Definition sound
HDD(s): Corsair Force 3 64GB SSD, 500GB Sata Drive, 2TB Media Drive

I think my rig is able to handle it just fine lol. I have ran all the new games on ultra settings and had no issue at all yet. I could upgrade to 20gb ram but dont see the need to yet.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »

You need to log-in to post here.