What have you been up to in Elite?

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » What have you been up to in Elite?

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 4 years ago.

Thanks KP Smile

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 4 years ago.

Billionaire's Club! Well, I finally achieved my 2nd major ED goal. I am hanging up core mining for now as yesterday, with my second load of Void Opals, I crossed the $1,000,000,000 mark! Just a goal I had set to see if I could do it. I have fallen so in love with my Python that I sold my Anaconda...as it is just too massive for my needs and takes a Large landing pad, not always available. You travel 89 LY on a gig to find out you cannot land there anyway!

Anyway: I think we should form a Billionaire's Club to discuss how to best use our money to do different things. I modestly admit I am adept at core mining now...as that is where you can make 20 - 80 mil in a single trip. But then what?

There is sooooooooooo much of the game I have not explored and that is what I want to do now with some resources.

After mining and bounty hunting, what do you think is MOST fun in ED?

Safe skies, moon pies and scoopable suns!

KiKi Pitts

coloured textCommander Kiki Pittscoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured text
SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Only 189 million to go and I'll join the club KP ... but I'll do it the hard way, missions, passengers, cargo and bounty hunting. I could never get my head around core mining. I do like surface as there's lot's of interesting things to find esp. crashed ships and hostile skimmers. Like you say, where's the fun in blasting rocks all day long?

When I reach a bill I'm off exploring out in the void.

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Jimminy Cricket had a little word in my shell-like today.....again.

JC: SD, remember that little conversation we had a while back about you doing 'The Bad Thing?'

SD: Errrr no, you'll have to jog my memory on that one.

JC: I mean like the 'Bad Thing' being taking on a wing of 3 Wanted Criminals?

SD: Oh yeah I remember now.

JC: So what was today's mega balls-up all about then? ....

Firstly, you totally forgot that you shouldn't take on three of them by yourself, let alone four!
Secondly, they were all Elites
Thirdly, they all had bigger, faster, better armed and defended ships than you.
And lastly, they don't have the same empty space between the ears that you obviously possess.

So to what personality defect do you ascribe today's lack of self-preservation and good sense to? I'll give you a clue, one word, starts with an 'S' and ends with a 'Y'

SD: Erm... Senility?

JC: Not quite, though that is probably a major factor ... I was thinking more along the lines of 'STUPIDITY' ... The only reason that you managed to drag your sorry arse out of the fire and back into the frying pan was because you'd previously had the low animal cunning to have your shields and FSD engineered to the max. And earlier you had the dim-wittedness whilst doing illegal black box salvage to totally ignore the warning signs. What don't you understand about Mission Related Signal:THREAT LEVEL 4?' That was a bit costly when those four brutes trashed you wasn't it? 8 Million+ rebuild! LMAO thicko!

SD: Sorry JC, I'll try not to do it again in the future...but I can't promise anything. Dunce

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

I have (reluctantly) arrived at the conclusion that the only reason to surface mine is to recover those elements needed for engineering.

The time spent recovering goods canisters after having to fight off those sentry skimmers is not worth the effort both in time as the rewards for recovering and selling on the gathered materials from crash sites are few, the only lucrative objects being occupied escape pods which are V. rarely encountered. It's fun no doubt but a waste of valuable time which could be more productively spent on other activities.

As for V.Opal mining I won't be engaging in that equally absurd evolution.

One would think that with the vast numbers of cmdrs engaged in this pursuit that the market for these items would have hit rock bottom as the market becomes flooded with them.

So ... if you want to impress your partner I suggest you forget presenting them with V.Opals or cold diamonds which are as common as muck. Instead, offer them a bucket of arsenic, technitium or polonium chunks which are as rare as rocking horse shit.

I've got loads BTW.

;)

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 4 years ago.

But..but...I have a rocking horse that....oh forget it !!!

currently grinding for trade rank....found a short run close to Shinrarta that gets more than 5K bucks per ton....using the annie it adds up.

I usually do this for a bit until I get bored and then do something else as there is plenty to choose from....the ranks gradually build up over time...have most engineers except the ones needing combat ranking....that comes later.

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 4 years ago.

Hey, Guys, Kiki Pitts here...
About Void Opals....they are the highest money* you can make in the shortest time...and if you want me to make a video explaining in great detail, even where to go, I will tell you.

What I like about it**: (yes, I have been doing it again as I got blown up twice and then was restored in a detention facility 56LY away and had to pay a bunch to get my ship back! So needed to up my bankroll again to stay above 1B - which will be my goal always. (Allows me to donate at stations and up my rating also.)

*BUT: It fluctuates like any commodity. E.g. I did an Inara search for who was buying VO and at what price and about three stations were paying 1,600,000+ PER cargo unit, WOW...you come in there with 70 tons of VO and you suddenly have over 100,000,000 smackerinies! So, I travel 60LY with a belly full of VO (avoiding two interdictions) and arrive to find the price dropped in half! The price reduction had dropped that far in one day...still 750,000 per is not bad. I found a nearby icy ring and mined some more VO a few days later and went back to same station and they were 1.6M again! Yesterday, they were only 325,000, so I just parked and held onto them. Woke up next morning and they were up to 763,000, so cashed them in.

**It is a solitary "treasure hunting" experience. You have to find the right icy asteroids and that gets to be like finding the gold egg at an Easter egg hunt. So, there is that fun. There are several challenges I find engaging...flying fast in and out of asteroids, avoiding pirates, etc. And, I gotta tell ya, watching a successful igniting and blowing apart an asteroid is satisfying...you can FEEL it. Your ship rocks and the sound effects are terrific.

Core mining is also a meditation...a solitary escape from whatever else you are doing for a while.

coloured textCommander Kiki Pittscoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured text
Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 4 years ago.

I never knock back the chance of a good video so go for it KP Wave

Link

Link avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 4 years ago.

working on anti xeno initiatives between exploring Big grin

Picture
SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

I'm back! Got out of Dalaman (Turkey) just in time. The whole mountain between Dalaman and Gocek was ablaze and the fire helos were working overtime. They'll sort it, they're rather good at it. I didn't have anything to do with the conflagration before you cynical lot ask. Probably a lightning strike kicked it off.

Anyhoo ... another 80 mill to go before I strike the big bill having had a seriously productive day carting stiffs and slotting bad boys at the Nav beacon.

Some idiot griefer tried to wipe me out today in my Orca. Dragged me out of supercruise and said he was going to 'boil me' because I was carrying nothing of worth, so I showed him how good the Orca can be in a scrap when they're engineered to the max and sent him off for a rebuy. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Good to be back ... at least until next Monday as I'm off to N.Ireland for a week to see my son and his wife and the three loony grandsons. Can't wait! :o)

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 4 years ago.

nice story SD....never got to Turkey...was on the bucket list when we lived on the yacht, northern Ireland we looked at when we flew north for a holiday once....did a black cab tour of northern Belfast which was a real eye opener.

Also good to hear the griefer tale, I have resolved to eventually try open to experience that area of the game when I get into the combat side of things.
But at this stage I will continue to play the game my way and not be dictated too.
I can understand the buzz of having a blue with a griefer in a craft that can defend itself.
Have a safe journey. !

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Thanks Baz. I've done the 'Peace Line' tour myself. As you say, an eye-opener. Our taxi driver whose uncle had been the head of the Belfast Provos asked me what religion I was, when I said I was an atheist and didn't hold with all that illogical religious b0££0ck5 he said ''Fine, but are you a Catholic or a Protestant atheist?'' LMAO! Great guy, the Caths seem to have a SOH more in line with my own warped outlook on things.

Struggling to earn a few creds this morning. Nothing juicy in the Thos.Cook dept. on offer. Undecided

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Slow start ... crossed the day's finishing line in great style!

Made 60 mill shifting the stiffs around (not far to the magic billion now KP!) and then got bored a bit with it ... so went and got the (Python) Panty Raider out of mothballs and went on the rampage. Slotted a few minor leaguers then it all went astral! 3 Type 10 Defenders turned up sporting the bad bad boy tag. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. I had considered 'investing' in one of these behemoths but they're slower than slugs in molasses in a hard winter. Ran rings around them in my Python and though they're (allegedly) as hard as nails, I sent all 3 to Valhalla in short order and they didn't even scratch my paintwork nor cause me to use the shield bank even once. And the heavy duty scrap component goodies I collected after the battle had my material trader drooling down his greedy chin! Life in the fast lane. Driving

Pythons rock the galaxy!

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 4 years ago.

yeah love my Python too......what sort of build for combat do you use SD?

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Weapons:
3C Beamer Thermal shock and Long range Mod (Get your retaliation in first!)
2 X 3C Multi Cannons Efficient weapon mods and 1 X Corrosive shell mod
2 X 2I Torps Pylons (More for nuisance value really)

Utility Mounts:
4 X OA Shield boosters Double braced mods.

Core Int:
1A Mil.Grade Composite Bulkheads
7A Armoured Power Plant
6A Thrusters Clean Drive Tuned and Thermal Spread Mod
5A FSD Stripped and Shielded mods
4A Life Support
7A Power Distributor Shielded and Power Flow Mod.
6A Long Range Mod Sensors

Opt.Internal:
6E Cargo Rack (64)
6A Shield Cell Bank Lightweight mod.
6C Bi-weave Shield Gen. Reinforced mod
5A Fuel Scoop
5D Hull Reinforcement
4B AFM
3D Module Reinforcement
3A Limpet Controller
2H Vehicle Hangar

« 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »