What have you been up to in Elite?

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » What have you been up to in Elite?

JayVee

JayVee avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 4 years ago.

Bazr, I use the Python for my main trade ship for combat although I have a Fer de Lance and Corvette I use an engineered Krait II. I'm not the best combat pilot but my shields and hull are strong enough to get away if necessary.

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Ross 376 - I'll check that out, thanks Kiki.

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 4 years ago.

Thing about Clauss is you cannot buy limpets anywhere in Ross 376 so I run off to Diaguandri and load up when I need to.

Safe Skies and Moon Pies, Boys!

- KikiPitts

You can but it's a planetary base that flogs them. I just bought from them rather than cart them halfway around the galaxy.

Now ... engineering. Your first port of call should be Fliss Farseer at Deciat for which you will need one unit of Meta Alloys to grease her palm. These (and they'll only sell you one unit) can be obtained at Maia A 2 A ... which is nly 22,000 LY away. I've done it in an unengineered craft and it took me about 44 jumps to get there! Should take a little (lot) less than that in the Runt DBX which has a great jump range. So if you like I'll go pick you up a crate of it and meet you on the planet at Farseer Inc. Deciat and I can drop it out of the ship for you to collect from the surface. This will save you traipsing all the way to Maia then all the way to Deciat only to get slotted by some ratbag.

These will be the first 4 you will be able to visit:

The rest come from completing engineering after which you get 'invites' First things to upgrade are FSD and Power Plant.

ENGINEERS

ELVIRA MARTUUK
LONG SIGHT BASE | KHUN
G5: FRAME SHIFT DRIVE
G3: SHIELD GENERATOR
G2: THRUSTERS
G1: SHIELD CELL BANK

THE DWELLER
BLACK HIDE | WYRD
G5: POWER DISTRIBUTOR
G4: PULSE LASER
G3: BURST LASER
G3: BEAM LASER

FELICITY FARSEER
FARSEER INC | DECIAT
G5: FRAME SHIFT DRIVE
G3: THRUSTERS
G3: SENSORS
G3: DETAILED SURFACE SCANNER
G1: SHIELD BOOSTER
G1: FRAME SHIFT DRIVE INTERDICTOR
G1: POWER PLANT

TOD "THE BLASTER" MCQUINN
TROPHY CAMP | WOLF 397
G5: MULTI-CANNON
G5: RAIL GUN
G3: FRAGMENT CANNON
G2: CANNON

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Popped over to '376 but it seems Kiki has drained all the rings as I was finding very little in the way of hollow 'roids. Now in a system next door where I am faring slightly better.

However I still struggle to get all the folk over at the official forum wally waving their huge T10 or Anaconda mining builds and boasting about 500 million credits an hour. Lucky if I make 1/20th of that. And anyhow, even if you amass enough credits to buy and pimp out every ship in the game, you can't buy the engineering materials to give them the necessary oomph. They need to be tediously ground out via missions or scanning wakes which is about the most boring thing you can do in the game!

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 4 years ago.

BV for material have you tried Daves Hope or the Anaconda wreck ?

if you have not then when there do a run around collecting in the buggy then reboot for another run.

The materials collected can be used at the appropriate trader to get the ones needed for the engineers.

Ignore this if you know already Smile

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Thanks Baz, been to Dav's Hope a couple of times and used the traders, though going from g1 or G2 through to G5 requires a bucket load of the former. It's the telemetry which is harder to get though passenger runs normally offer them as one of the payment options.

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Good Morning, Commanderoos!
Oh, boy, I should get off here because Roguey has turned into a showcase for my ignorance! I have never had a buggy or run one except in the "learner modules" at the beginning of the game... So, do you buy it somewhere and stow it inside your ship? Does it take up a slot, meaning I would have to dump something or get it? Does it need fueling? Do you deck it out with accessories or upgrades? And the big questions two questions: 1) Do I absolutely need it to get re-engineering stuff done? and 2) Will my Platinum Python hold it?

I will do my diligence and find some youtube videos on running the ATV...but your instant answers to the above will help me know what videos to seek.

BV, you are serious? You went to Ross 376 A2 and couldn't find any icy roids with the big 4? Did you use your Detailed Surface Scanner for hotspots? There are like 7 or 8 on A2 - Void Opals are not difficult to find, Low Temp Diamonds about the same challenge. And Grand, Alex and Bromelite (Why would anyone want this last low-paying core ore?) are fairly plentiful. Remember to go SHIP in your right hand control panel and turn first two alternatives to "ON" one is ship lights and the other is like "Night vision" or something. So once you locate a hot* roid, you hit it with a prospector limpet, and if blue letters show up in your composition panel, you will know what you do next, i.e., mine it or not. I avoid bromelite as it pays next to nothing compared to the big 4. You just want LTD, VO, Grand and Alex. At Clauss Mines they will pay out from 500,000 to 1.5M a ton...
Land at Clauss Mines before you go to A2 (or any otehr icy rings in the system) and check out the commodity market under "sell" to know what you want to prioritize. Usually it is LTDs and Void Opals paying highest. I just mine all four as it is a quick run to Clauss mines from A2, sell it all and go back to A2. I start with 110 limpets in a 128 max load, and then dump limpets as I need cargo space for minerals, if I need to.

You should be able to make 100M in a few hours. What Kiki does (did) is just core mine, core mine, core mine, until I built up 2B, then I have a bankroll to do whatever, including blowing up my ships in combat to take a mining brake, because insurance costs are no problem. You can then buy whatever ships you want, except for those that need you to rank a certain way...something else I do not get...not even sure what my rank is - competent, I know that.

Most important thing is to have fun!!

Safe skies and moon pies, Commanders

Kiki Pitts (Aka Dr. DJ)

*Your pulse scanner should show you bright red/Yello/Orange lumpy roids then as you get closer you should see crosshatching black and some green. You have to get closer to roids to get a good scan as it is so cloudy in A2 rings. Burst throttle through the rings always heading towards center of planet so you don't duplicate coverage. Oval roids are a waste. You want lumpy ones that are basically round, but they have short pillar sticking out, making them knobby.

coloured textCommander Kiki Pittscoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured text
BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Okay, I'll run 376 again, see what I can find.

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Better results in 376 this evening, found a VO and LTD roid fairly close to each other. However Clauss Mines not currently paying top dollar so necessary to sell further afield, not a huge issue as would need to restock limpets elsewhere, anyway.

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Great BV!
Yah, they are up and down in pricing...one day they were paying 631,000 per and the next 1,650,000 - top of the universe in paying out on VO. A day later, they were paying 550,000. I always advise getting limpets loaded, travel to 376, land at Clauss and check prices, then go mine on one of the icy ringed planets in the system - there are 3 or 4 - cannot remember. I always do A2 because it is so close to Clauss mines, you get there in under a minute. So, I sometimes just go for quantity, as I never saw LTDs or VOs much below 500,000...so I just mine, dump at CM, go get limpets in Dia, back to A2, mine, dump at CM, go get more limpets in Dia, ad nauseam.

It's become a meditation almost. And what can I say, I like having a whopper bankroll...not dependent on any slick dudes for my lifestyle LOL ahh, the old days of barhopping....now it's roid hopping. I think I am growing up. Eeeek!

Safe skies and a multitude of Moon pies, Commanders!
Kiki Pitts

coloured textCommander Kiki Pittscoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured text
SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Why go to 376? There are 3 ringed planets on your doorstep in Bhotega with Major Reserves and plenty of hotspots! The furthest has VO's and LTD's ... I brought 28 cans of each home to Savitskaya this evening ... then went out and earned more for a single Passenger mission to Caph!

However, I can see the attraction of mining once you get the hang of slotting the missiles into the fracture lines.

One thing I did learn ... Pulse Wave ... keep your finger on the trigger and the second pulse will show which rocks have fault lines by displaying the small square pixels as edged in black and lots of black lines running through the rock. Doesn't work every time but more often than not so I didn't waste a lot of time sending out prospectors to every glowing rock I found out there.

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

I'll head to Bhotega and check that out later.

It (mining) is addictive and while I've probably got enough credits to start building my exploration Anaconda by now, find myself going back for "just one more go".

Also I'm balancing the mining in 376 with freight missions to adjacent systems for engineering materials, when I need to top up the limpets.

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Always best to have a bit of variety so it doesn't become routine or stale BV.

So I went for a little sojourn in 'The Runt' (DBX) which I use solely for Exploration now.

Check this one out. Lo Reserves but so is 376:

LP 149-14 21 LY from Bhotega. OK it's anarchy but what the hell eh? I only met a couple of NVP bozos and they soon scarpered when I upped the ironware.

A3 ... It's got the lot! 11 Hotspots! Hi value metals, Vopals and LTD's

A4 ... 2 X Vopal Hotspots

A5 ... 2 X Vopal Hotspots

I didn't scan the planetary landings as Lo Res means grubbing around for little return. But you never know.

KP LEARN HOW TO USE THE SRV!

Hint: DO NOT USE 'Drive Assist' under any circumstances!

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

You guys are the greatest - always full of great info for the KP.
I will try - cuz the SRV looks like fun. Do you buy it separately and store it in your ship? How do you let it out and switch over from your cockpit into the SRV and back again?

So, here is a link for great info on mining rigs etc. Save this, so next time you are on a chat and someone asks about how to mine, or how to rig for mining etc. you can just send them here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1594281413 and save your time for mining instead.

Yesterday, I went ahead and bit the missile and bought some AX money and decked out "Kiki Pitts XIX" - no longer called a snake - MAMBA. EEyuk. I decided to go metallic so she is solid copper with some new tail and front end regalia to make her stand out. Then took her to Nav Beacon of Diaguandri and ripped up about 8 ships (and picked up a 100cr friendly fire fine - oops) - no problem. . .And the ray worked! Wow that thing is potent, but use it in short bursts or you overheat fast! KP XIX is shiny as a new penny or pence or farthing (or whatever copper coins you use in your country). [Yah, I paid in pounds so have no idea how much it really cost me in USA bucks.]

Made a whopping big 130,000credits in 2 hours of combat lol. But it was a good test for Kiki XIX, and I loved it! It is a mean machine and has some great sound effects for accelerating...which brings me to my next question: Anyone have a SAITA? My D button on the thruster stopped working for my Increase Thrust burst. Then I noticed there is a black ridged "dial" around that button. What does that do?

I will check out LP 149 looks like fun, SD!

Safe Skies and Moon Pies Galore, Commanders!

You guys are the grits and glitz!

Kiki Pitts

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

You guys are the greatest - always full of great info for the KP.
I will try - cuz the SRV looks like fun. Do you buy it separately and store it in your ship? How do you let it out and switch over from your cockpit into the SRV and back again?

Kiki Pitts
- KikiPitts

You buy the hangar first and then the SRV to carry inside it KP. I deploy it on Key #3 on my panel. It's a steep learning curve driving the damned thing and it won't go up steep hills It's time FDev gave us something fit for purpose as it can only carry two cans. Basically the SRV is a pile of junk.

Once you land on a planet you can dismiss the ship as it only screws up the returns on the radar. Otherwise, if you stray too far it will clear off all by itself then you have to use the recall ship button and it should land somewhere reasonably close by. Getting back into the ship can be a work of art all by itself!

« 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »

You need to log-in to post here.