What have you been up to in Elite?

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » What have you been up to in Elite?

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 4 years ago.

Well I did it... got enough credits together to buy my Exploraconda. Heading off towards Explorer's End then up the Formidine Rift towards Beagle Point. A bit of engineering got the range up to 59 LY - not great but better than my old AspX at 47 LY. As it is I had to leave the repair limpet controller (plus cargo space) and a larger second fuel tank at home, but she's a nice boat and well worth that time spent blowing up asteroids.

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 4 years ago.

Congrats BV! Just been to Jameson to buy a Conda. Got griefed going in by CMDR 'Warhawk' ... 'Shitehawk' would be a better name for him ;o) He slotted my DBX taxi in pretty short order with his big nasty ship. I shall have to pay him a revisit at some point and we'll see how he fares against something more his size. As it is, the rebuy for 'The Runt' DBX was peanuts so no harm done.

I'm outfitting for exp. and mining ... plus the 3 Huge and Large weapon racks are loaded with the means to fight back. I've even added a few little extras, mines and a plasma accelerator just for variety.

Most of the big innards I have in storage so total cost so far 300 mill but I can strip 49-ER and recoup some of the cost. Still got 3 billion to play with so no sweat. I'll be keeping Monty though as a Python is handy for those missions where a certain 'stealth, speed and scarper' is required. I'll have the Conda shipped to Bhotega from Jameson as my boredom threshold is a bit low to do 40 jumps. Only 4 in the DBX Smile

Then it's off to see the engineers.

First a fitting name for the new addition. I was thinking 'Monti Rock III' (AKA Disco Tex) after a weird and wonderful disco popper from the 70's Actually his backing vocalists 'The Sex-O-Lettes' were far more interesting than Tex who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. Wink

For those of you not of a nervous disposition, here's the link to his 'greatest hit' Is he a fruitcake or what?

I apologize in advance for the appearance at the beginning of the disgusting pervert Jimi Savile.

https://youtu.be/qRCMjoC8pUM

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

BTW Note to KP

You do realise that you can synthesize certain things like chaff, ammunition and limpets even, ON BOARD your ship? RH panel, go to inventory and scroll down to the snowflake. It saves a lot of time going back to the station to load up on Sub Surface missiles etc.

Of course this requires stuff that you collect on planet surfaces. Get out in the SRV!

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Does it HAVE to be surface minerals? I can find bromelite in icy asteroids for instance.
Not to be a whinner* - but just wondering.
That was first question:

Can you store minerals? Like if I am core mining, and getting rich payloads of VOand LTD but come across some bromelite, can I pick that up and instead of cashing it out (for next to nada BTW) can I dump it in storage and get it when I need it. Or can you store things on your ship without it taking up cargo space?

This is really new to me....SRV and Engineering. I know I will have to learn it as my goal is to be at least competent at EVERYTHING in ED. I want to be able to construct lessons for kids using ED as a vehicle...so I have to know everything there is to know. I got stuck on core mining, because I was able to build up 3B in cash and buy what I wanted to buy. And it was fun - in the beginning - now its a meditation and/or quick cash. I got fairly good at combat. An amateur but have done some transporting.

But that is about it. Never SRV, no wingmates, no engineering, politics, etc. Guess I am a loner...
I know I have a long way to go...might as well take my mates advice. NEXT: Expertise with the SRV!

Safe skies, Moon pies and may your currency coffers be full!

Kiki Pitts

*(Don't want to be a whinner, rather be a winner, but what the H.)

coloured textCommander Kiki Pittscoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured text
SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

The stuff you pick up on planets are in the main ordinary elements on the periodic table, sulphur, iron, polonium, manganese etc. These can only be obtained ON a planet's surface. They cannot be bought at a trader location so it's SRV time KP ... sorry. All collected engineering materials are stored on the ship and do not take up any cargo space (oddly enough)

You cannot store anything that goes into the cargo hold. You either cart it about ad inf. or flog it.
You will not be allowed to put a ship into storage that is carrying either canisters, limpets or passengers (I've inadvertantly tried the last one)

Broke the unwritten law today and paid for it.

Coming out of Deciat the barstewards were waiting. A soon as my head was above ground they opened up from outside the no fire zone (yes you can do this but not from inside it!) So I stood no chance, I was slaughtered on the pad ... My shiny new Anaconda blown to smithereenies. Hey ho ... another rebuy.

You live and learn ... the hard way. Smile

JayVee

JayVee avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

SD1, if near Jameson fly solo or group I also lost an Anaconda there as you say lesson learned "The hard way". With regard to storage you can store ships with the above provided the ship you move out of storage has capacity to take the stored items. Hope this makes some sense.Sorry just realised you were attacked leaving Deciat, lol you've always been very careful at engineers stations. Are you getting over confident or complacent?
Kp I don't know about whinner or winner but I'm happy to be a winer, white tonight, nice and cold.

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Sadly that's why I will probably never play in Open, unless far far away from the Bubble. Too many child-minded idiots just want to ruin the game. It's not clever or emergent gameplay, in some ways it's a form of online bullying.

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

SD1, if near Jameson fly solo or group I also lost an Anaconda there as you say lesson learned "The hard way". With regard to storage you can store ships with the above provided the ship you move out of storage has capacity to take the stored items. Hope this makes some sense.Sorry just realised you were attacked leaving Deciat, lol you've always been very careful at engineers stations. Are you getting over confident or complacent?
Kp I don't know about whinner or winner but I'm happy to be a winer, white tonight, nice and cold.
- JayVee

Senile more like JV. Wink

As a thought, we could always wing up with KP and drag her about doing the unidentified signals thing and let her clean up the debris to see how it's done to mop up engineering materials.

Just been romping around Bast in Monty Python as there are always plenty of unidentifieds. Loads of High Grade and Encoded Emissions ,Grade 5 Eng mats. here just for the taking! You can also meet lots of interesting new people who want to have a look in your cargo bays ... and kill them. Then mop up their debris for even more eng. mats KP. Win/win as you also collect bounties and reputation brownie points from the local factions too.

I've finally ironed out the kinks in the Conda, ''Monti Rock III'' and am improving my mining skills every time I go out. I've engineered the 8A power plant but was still a bit on the edge percentage usagewise so I dropped a few modules to lower the power drain and running all up at 94% now so a little in reserve. Didn't skimp on the defences though.

Did none of you watch Disco Tex's pop video? You haven't lived! Wink

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 4 years ago.

yeh I watched it....still stunned I guess....cannot open my mouth to say anything !....but yeah the birds are ok......anyho I was probably acting the same at that time lol.

SD1 how have you found the fixed weapons ?.....have not tried any yet....still learning how to keep on their tail.

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

SD - I could not get your version to work, but did find this one and so so sorry I did. How OLD is this?? lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRCMjoC8pUM

And, Ohmigod, is this like the worst job of lipsyncing a song ever?

I love the face glitter but almost every time I personally have used it, this happened: https://media.giphy.com/media/H42MLePsnNsc2m3hnk/giphy.gif

If I ever get a cutter ship I am definitely going to name it either Disco Tex or Sex-o-lette!

Lordy lordy I am almost 40! But I am pretty sure I could still dance like that - with a glass of white wine (or three).

Safe skies, Fellas!

Kiki

coloured textCommander Kiki Pittscoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured text
SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

40? You're still a pup KP! If I tried dancing like that (The vid is 70's vintage BTW) I'd end up in traction for several months. Wink

Anyhoo ... been out all afternoon grinding the Empire rep over at a little spot I found on a website (can't remember where though ... senility again)

In 4 hours I've ranked up from 'nobody' to 'Lord' Still only halfway to a Cutter!

Here's the gen:

Courier missions between Hickam Survey, Ngalinn system - Hries Van Der Rohe's Claim in Mainani a mere 3 LY jump between the two

There's so many courier missions between each station that it tells you that you can't hold any more than 20! I totally Allied up 90% of the factions in 4 jumps!

There's also plenty of Empire Navy missions to grind the ranks as well.

I did 3 x Navy Courier runs and 3 x Assassinations to reach the halfway point on the greasy pole. Got the Runt (DBX) all shot up in one of the missions so I dragged Monty (Python) over and sorted them out in short order.

Both stations can only accomodate up to Python size and there's no shipyards or repair facilities. Nearest large station for this is Mobius Enterprise in Bayah.

I've also allied with the lovely Aisling Duval who I've had the hots for since I started playing the game.

I've also met several 'live ones' today! Though they all scarpered when Monty turned up. Smile

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Update: After completing another several whack jobs for the Empire Navy I have achieved the status of Viscount, so we'll be having a bit more servile attitude from you peasants! :o) Still some way to go to rank up for the Cutter but getting there. The rank missions get fewer and further between the higher up the pole you scamper. Next rank is 'Count' though mein Fuhrer says there a 'o' too many in the description in my case. I'm still trying to work out what she means. Wink

However, I have found that Ngalinn is extremely erm... 'interesting' not much in the money grinding dept. but fun, fun, fun! I love doing the assassination missions.

Took a 'Wetjob' this morning from the 'cynically named 'Guardians of Law' or some such moniker and it turned out they're anything but....

So off I scuttled to the Nav beacon only to find a full scale war on the go. So I joined in and earned a shedload of brownie points killing evildoers and some not so evil....

I did get a severe beating from 2 Elite Fer de Lances in a wing so I had to do the valiant thing and like Brave Sir Robin of The Holy Grail fame, I 'Bravely turned my back and fled'

Then mission related signals flashed up so I went off and found found 3 'mission targets', innocent traders all from another system, so I slotted all three (Only 14 more to go to earn a paltry 9 million) and I subsequently earned a bounty and a wanted sticker on my forehead which I had to go to the station and cleanse my sins at the interstellar factor. I have a feeling I'll be revisiting them in the very near future.....

Strange isn't it that other commanders react badly when you're only doing a mission that requires you to kill them. The buggers had the audacity to shoot back at me! So, I need to go off and get my shield cell bank recharged. Then it's more of the same. Smile

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

« Previous | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 | Next »

Roguey, can you do me a favour please?

Can you set the above back to the top of the page as all this bloody scrolling down is giving me RSI! Wink

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

DON'T LAUGH!
Following is Kiki Pitts adventure attempting to learn how to use the SRV...
WHY? So she can mine planetary minerals so she can re-engineer her ships.

THE ADVENTURE:
I decided to go back into training module to learn how to do the SRV thingie. You know, where you land your ship and depart in the SRV then try to take out a station.

And by the way what a buggy! Steers like a large big wheel...

FIRST hootenanny was trying to run the dang thing with my HOTAS, as there are no videos on that...(seems everyone uses a keyboard). Lot of time learning what buttons ran what.

First chapter: So, get stuck up against a pole on this station where I am supposed to blow up something, and could not back up...no matter what.

REBOOTED

Finally figured out how to backup, then backed off the platform backwards and was leaning up against the platform and could not back up or go forward.

REBOOTED

Finally took out the power supply (first)...and then fell off the platform...ran into crap...and got stuck.

REBOOTED

[Skip ahead to several more reboots]

Figured out how to raise the scanner up on the pole and "Stole the data" and was all excited to recall my ship and get to get onboard...and take off...

BUT NOooooooooooooooooooooooooo....as soon as I started heading to the area and recall the ship, I was congratulated on success and screen went to black.

DANG!

Next chapter will be buying an SRV on my Python and actually mining on a planet.

QUESTION for all of you doubled up guys laughing at me: How do I know WHICH minerals and how many to get so I can re-engineer?

Safe Skies and Moon Pies!

Kiki Pitts

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 4 years ago.

KP if it helps I use the rocker switch on the throttle of the Hotas for steering..still touchy but works good enough for me...sometimes when you get stuck have a button to boost up, this sometimes gets you going again, it is also needed to help when you get stuck upside down (which you will lol).
Also try a reboot when all else fails when stuck..it often works.

I use INARA to get a list of materials needed for mats etc...this shows how many of the materials you have already as well.

Go to the blueprints page and you get a list of the materials needed for each level.

« 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »

You need to log-in to post here.