What have you been up to in Elite?

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » What have you been up to in Elite?

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 4 years ago.

KP if it helps I use the rocker switch on the throttle of the Hotas for steering..still touchy but works good enough for me...sometimes when you get stuck have a button to boost up, this sometimes gets you going again, it is also needed to help when you get stuck upside down (which you will lol).
Also try a reboot when all else fails when stuck..it often works.

I use INARA to get a list of materials needed for mats etc...this shows how many of the materials you have already as well.

Go to the blueprints page and you get a list of the materials needed for each level.

- Bazr

Which materials KP? EVERYTHING AT first then you can start getting choosy when you've reached the limit of somethings like iron, sulphur, manganese, vanadium etc. They don't add extra weight to the load and you can't lose them if you're slotted.

Don't forget to look in RH panel scroll down to the snowflake to see what you can synthesize there on the ship to save going back and forward to stations to restock. Check INARA for what mats are needed for the likes of ammo, chaff etc.

I'm out of action atm as my biscuit tin is down the road getting upgraded on the Graphics and an SSD installed.
I've borrowed a huge dinosaur of a machine from my neighbour but it's an old 32 bit job and ED requires 64 so I'm in limbo for now.

Worst comes to the worst I can always be buried in it as it's the size of a coffin and weighs about as much as a corpse loaded one. The Fuhrer is doing her nut but I've put my foot down with a firm hand on this one as I was getting internet withdrawal symptoms and I had to sit and watch bloody soaps all day. I can only stand the sight of Judge Judy for 5 mins at a stretch before my blood pressure goes through the roof.

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Found out how to upgrade Windows 10 from X32 to X64 bit system. A real P(ain) I(n) T(he) A(rse)

Why the hell are they still selling 32 bit computers?

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 4 years ago.

I am trying to learn how to make videos of some of my DB adventures...as even I laugh at myself...wish I had recorded some of my moments in the past with my own dialogue but it would have probably been censored. Example. I had my beginner ship and after getting blown to hell 12 or so times, I finally had some booty (not THAT kind, guys lol) and was returning to the station to cash out...my first cash crop. (probably a whopping 78,000 credits LOL but it seemed huge to me) I didn't know how to ask for permission to land so time expired and I ran out of oxygen right outside the station and basically keeled over. New ship, new few times of getting pasted into eternity, but finally acquiring some moola at a nav beacon in combat, then went to station, got permission, but could not find the slot in time (You can laugh, I am running all around the outside of the station looking for the slot and could not find it and perished). Next time, I was running out of oxygen found the slot but did not have time to ask permission and was blown to hell and back. What is odd is I have never ran out of oxygen again but used to do so in the beginning all the time...not sure what happened.

But KP turned blue many a time, and to someone who knows the game watching me it must've looked like those old silent movies material...

I downloaded Screen Cast o matic and (problem is) I am using a TV for a monitor with my Hotas/Rift set up so not sure how it will look. But you gotts see the KP in action! Now that I know what I am doing (better).

Cuz I think learning to use this stupid dune buggy is going to be hilarious. If nothing else, it will be a set of lessons on what NOT to do...

I do not know how you survive, SD, without a day in the ED world...how long before the pooter is back?

I should put up a pic of my setup sometime...

okay, more coffee.

Safe skies and Moon pies, Commanders!

Kiki Pitts

Did I tell you my Mamba is solid copper in color? Wonder if I need copper in one of those re-eng capers I can just whack off a chunk of the fuselage I don't need??

coloured textCommander Kiki Pittscoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured text
KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Okay, okay...so....here we go. I store the Mamba (Kiki Pitts IX) and bring out my namesake, the Platinum Python (Kiki Pitts VIII) and no room in my internals so I dump one of my cargo holds of 64 to get a SRV hangar (which by the way, later, when I open my panel to run the SRV, there are FOUR hangars in my ship already it seems...dunno what that means...only bought one, I think.

Anywaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayz, I land on a mineral planet...sunnyside and find a rare flat spot and am tooling around in the SRV. I see this black thing and run over there, thinking, "Hey, big mineral rock. I am rich!" and it turns out to be what looks like a corn silo on its side and as I get close a bunch of quadcopters with green lasers start advancing on me. I shoot the hell out of every thing but it has no effect...so on I go...

I finally locate a rock with minerals chromium something or other. I blast it...then following directions on a youtube video, I open my cargo hold and run over the chunks over and over again but NOTHING happens. Something about 'refinery' so I am thinking, Did I dump my refinery to get this extra hangar or something? I go back to Rays Gate, open up my ship inclusions and sure has hell I DO have a refinery! I was pretty sure I did as it is PP VIII that I go core mining with - no problems with refinery. I have no idea WHY my cargo scoop won't scoop! Any ideas???

Oh and there is no reverse on this SRV that I can find...so made sure I never nosed up against anything. Cannot find in Options where SRV controls are either.

DB.

KP

Gonna go eat a package of Moon Pies...

coloured textCommander Kiki Pittscoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured text
SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

An SRV hangar will fit in a 2 slot KP ... No need for 4 SRV's ... if you drive carefully.

Blast a rock (which you located on the HUD of course) ... Lower the cargo scoop AND TARGET (RH mouse button for me) the chunk you intend to pick up otherwise the SRV will just ignore it no matter how many times you run over it. Same with any canisters you find at crash sites, they must be targeted before they can be scooped.Maximum of 2 on the SRV. Pathetic no? Anything scoopable should have a square around it as if you are targeting a ship.

Alternatively you can target another way (easier) ... go into LH panel, choose 'contacts' and if you are close enough the different chunks will show up in there on the list. You select what you want and it will appear thus <Iron> meaning it has been targeted. Then go back to cockpit view and you should see the chunk bracketed by < > through the canopy window.

The keybinds can be set on the first page when the game opens under 'Controls' scroll to SRV and select it.

And my biscuit tin is back from the menders complete with a shiny new SSD! Much faster now. I ditched the 1TB mechanical one and opted for a mere 250Gb which is far more than I'll ever fill anyway. Still looking for an upgrade graphics card that won't set the puny power supply unit on fire though. I think a GT 1030 should fit the bill. Only 2Gb graphics but it would be a vast improvement on my Intel HD integrated card which is about the size of a postage stamp!

BTW Those flying shooty things that zip around crash sites like lunatics are sentry skimmers and they're a bugger to shoot down until you get the hang of it. Target them first as you would an attacking ship ... If they show up as 'Illegal Sentry Skimmer:Wanted' it's OK to shoot them down and you'll get a bounty payment for it. If they're GREEN ... withdraw and leave them alone or you'll end up with a wanted sticker on your forehead and several policemen firing their lasers up your jacksie Wink

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Skydog - always my champion of knowledge saving me both time, credits and (further) embarrassment. [I came from a family where mistakes were sins, and screwing up was spotlighted and either laughed at or chastised...or witholding, certainly, of admiration in even future accomplishments...i.e., "Oh, so you FINALLY learned that, huh? Your brother got it in a couple of minutes." So, all help provided in such a kind manner is a pleasure and I thank you.

Okay, off to mining planet again tomorrow. I picked one in the Diaguandri system off Ray's Gate.

Question: How do you know WHICH minerals to collect? Or do you just get anything and everything you find? You said your cargo hold does not fill up with these, right?
Hey at the theatre today "Ford vs. Ferrari" [Go see it if you love racing! It's the best racing movie, true story, you will ever see.]
they were selling at the snack bar "Mini-Moon Pies"!!! Yah, in a candy box, they are like 2cm across. Had to have them, of course.
Tasted like crap, but I am still going to use it today, sooooooooooo

Safe Skies and Many Mini-Moon Pies, Guys!

Kiki Pitts

PS Love how often they use my name in racing movies..."He's coming into the Pitts!!" "Gotta make a Pittstop!" lol

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

thanks JV...no the fires are couple of hundred K north of us but I have a few mates up there, the areas affected are quite large and in three states at the moment...very tragic.

Tried my first go at real combat ....in a conflict zone to get some bonds for one of the engineers.

Well I did not die but the shields on the Python keep vanishing so I came back to Jameson and threw in some more guardian shield reos and now have 1300 odd to hide behind...have not tried it yet...also put on some big lasers, multicannon,cannon and seeker missile.

Looking forward to trying it out.....being a bit of a wimp as well as I will be playing in a low intensity zone until I learn to survive and come up with a satisfactory build combination.
- Bazr

Baz where do you collect the guardian stuff for engineering?

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Skydog - always my champion of knowledge saving me both time, credits and (further) embarrassment. [I came from a family where mistakes were sins, and screwing up was spotlighted and either laughed at or chastised...or witholding, certainly, of admiration in even future accomplishments...i.e., "Oh, so you FINALLY learned that, huh? Your brother got it in a couple of minutes." So, all help provided in such a kind manner is a pleasure and I thank you.

Okay, off to mining planet again tomorrow. I picked one in the Diaguandri system off Ray's Gate.

Question: How do you know WHICH minerals to collect? Or do you just get anything and everything you find? You said your cargo hold does not fill up with these, right?
Hey at the theatre today "Ford vs. Ferrari" [Go see it if you love racing! It's the best racing movie, true story, you will ever see.]
they were selling at the snack bar "Mini-Moon Pies"!!! Yah, in a candy box, they are like 2cm across. Had to have them, of course.
Tasted like crap, but I am still going to use it today, sooooooooooo

Safe Skies and Many Mini-Moon Pies, Guys!

Kiki Pitts

PS Love how often they use my name in racing movies..."He's coming into the Pitts!!" "Gotta make a Pittstop!" lol

- KikiPitts

I am quite capable of making my very own ballsups KP!

Yesterday I took on a mission for the Blood Bros. of Alrai, I was in Monty at the time (64 cargo) for delivering 160 cans to somewhere that I didn't take much notice off. So I oiked out the Corvette that could carry a big loadout no probs in just one jump... arrived at the station ... it's an outpost and can't dock there!

Once you've loaded up you can't hand them back and refashion the mission so I abandoned the mission (Big fine! Busted down to friendly with the Bros) so I nicked the cargo and scooted off to Alrai (Another fine entering Bounds Hub from the Blood Bros.) So I flogged it all on the black market there, paid off my fines with the proceeds and made a donation to the Blood Bros. cause. Back up to Allied. Wink

Materials ... collect everything! The system map should tell you what is available to collect on the surface of every landable planet You can't overload it! I'll put together a list of places where there are major reserves and lots of Metallic meteorites (The Holy Grail of rocks!) I'll also get a list of material traders, 3 types, Encoded, Manufactured and Raw, why they can't all multi-task is a mystery to me. There's also Tech Traders but they deal in the Guardian stuff.

I'll post it up later when the Fuhrer has stopped harrassing me. Wink

"Gotta make a Pittstop!" ... 'Penelope Pittstop' shirley????

Don't limit yourself to just collecting minerals KP, you also need a broad spectrum of all types for engineering (Encoded, Raw and Manufactured)

Go to Alrai where there are always lots of Unidentified Signals to check out and you can pick up most of what you need from these, also by scanning other vessels. Look for High Grade emissions Threat 0 and Encoded Threat 0 ... The encoded will usually throw up a large box chunk of station debris which when targetted will say 'Private Data' Target it and it will load Encoded materials into your loadout. You can also pick up manufactured materials by erm... killing other ships. Once they blow up hit the brakes and you'll see a load of white contacts, these are the collectable manufactured items. Scoop 'em up!

Start at the nearest unidentified signal and work your way around rather than chasing back and forth. Forget Convoy Dispersal as they rarely result in a scrap with pirates where you can collect stuff.

BTW 'Degraded emissions Threat 3' You won't be attacked at these and there's more often than not a canister of Painite in amongst all the rubbish.(Check in LH panel 'Contacts' to see what there is floating about) I got 3 cans at Alrai this morning and flogged them on the black market in Bhotega. DON'T TRY TO SELL 'Illicit Goods' in the same system you erm... 'acquired' them Smile

Anyway, the way I see it, 'illicit' isn't quite the same as 'illegal' is it? I mean adultery is illicit, but it's not illegal. otherwise the jails would be bulging at the seams! (They already are of course)

I've binned The Runt (DBX) again ... limitations (apart from the fantastic jumps range) grow ever more apparent. So I've upgraded to exploration taxi to a Krait II. Engineered it up and it is devastatingly competent and the jump range is well acceptable. Only drawback is the limited no. of utility mounts (4) but not a major drawback, 2 engineered shield boosters, chaff and point defence fill it up.

But the weapons loadout is impressive! 3c eng Beamer 2 eng. Multis and 2 Burst lasers with a little mod that creeps through the shields and damages from within. Only needs a couple of squirts and a ship's shields drop away in seconds. Then the multis shred it.

As for you Mamba KP, I'd eat it alive! :p

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

HIP 4907 Major reserves
LHS 140 Metallic Meteorites
LP 51-17 Arsenic
Sopdu Yttrium
LHS 3749 Polonium or LP 27-9
Planetary Pristine reserves - LTT 18557
Major reserves Tatil
Ross 210 Zirconium

Manufactured mat. trader MCC 858
Encoded mat. Apala

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Hey, don't hurt my Mamba Momma! She is so pretty...and just needs a commander who knows how to re-engineer! And KP is a ways away from that! Now an added wrinkle.

ATTN! I just got word off Reddit that in January you can kiss goodbye the high possible prices for our favorite core mining products. Here is the notice rephrased from Frontier on a sub-reddit strand:

As of January: As a way to try and make Missions/Bounty Hunting/Exploration more "viable" in terms of profits, added supply and demand volumes for certain high-end minerals will be dropping.

This change will affect the following commodities:

Alexandrite

Benitoite

Grandidierite

Low Temperature Diamond

Monazite

Musgravite

Painite

Rhodplumsite

Serendibite

Void Opal

[End of quote]

So, this means, mine your butt off and build up your cash between now and January.
I may have to put off my SRV training and build up some cash core mining....I think 3-4B should do it, eh?

Then I can go back to SRVing, and learn about re-engineering so I can do justice to the Mamba Momma...and test you out SD! Now THERE is something to look forward, Buckaroo Banzai!

Happy Holidays, All!
Do something fun this holiday season and help out your favorite charity!

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all our American cousins too. XX

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Thanks, SD...it is a great day here in USA.*

What I love about it is that families traditionally get together and not only eat together but have fun as one group - a lot of laughter, camaraderie, and catching up on what everyone is doing. Millions travel great distances just for this. It's not the stuff that makes headlines or good reality shows, it is what I consider to be the a quiet, nearly unnoticeable, quality of the central theme of USA. Gratitude for one another...valuing each person...helping and supporting one another. Our television shows are so often concentrated on selfishness, divisiveness, deception, and personal deprecation...(as exemplified by our knucklehead President**).

So, it is a day of giving thanks, of gratitude, of appreciation, of heart to heart.

In that vein, let me express my gratitude for our little band of rogue Commanders...who have always helped me, and shared their stories and experiences, and given me great time-saving tips. And the humor in our little group is so appealing. What is it about laughing together that makes life so grand?

So, to all of you -- US, UK, Uknowwhoyouare -- I wish you a day of thoughtful gratitude.

Surprise a loved one with a big hug. Make someone laugh. Tell someone just how important they are to you.

And, this day, in America officially kicks off the Holiday Season....Macy's big parade in New York, with Santa and his sleigh as the last float ushering in the joyous holidays...

So, Happy Holidays to You All,

And Safe Skies and Many Mini-Moon Pies to you!

Kiki Pitts

*Except for the Native Americans who see it as a symbol of their repression and with good reason. I am 17.xxx% Cherokee and I get it, although my family does not honor its NA affiliation, long long story.

**That is not us, not even close. That is a reality TV show which he was good at, and became famous for the phrase, "You're fired!" [Ever been fired? I have.] It's not funny. Or entertaining. It is humiliating, embarrassing and makes you feel small and unimportant, i.e., it is soul-wrenchingly PAINFUL. Who would want to be known for majoring in that quality -- dispensing that kind of pain to others? He is a very small person, billions or no. If he lived in our neighborhood and acted like that, no one would have anything to do with him. He is a TV character. Not a real American. As I said, not even close to being a typical United States citizen.

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Well I hope you had a good day of it KP.

I too have had a good day ... Spring chicken to shitehawk in four jumps. Empire ranking today Count, Earl, Marquis ... Duke.

Tomorrow ... Imperial Cutter. :o)

If anyone would like to know where to rank the Empire grades pdq just let me know.

BTW. Where I was doing the grind today was like Piccadilly Circus with LIVE pilots! Must have been 8 or 9 around though only one would enter into chat. Oddly enough they were all mostly harmless except for the one deadly pilot. I think he was babying his mate along, showing him the ropes. Smile

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 4 years ago.

Sorry SD1...have been away from the game trout fishing up the mountains, back today.

I think the easiest way is to google the guardian blueprint sites as there are heaps of them...so if you want say the fsd booster for eg then that will come up when mentioned in search...there are heaps of materials at all these sites I have found, so you collect them when you collect the blueprint.
Land near the site and take point defence on ship, they take care of the missiles the sentries fire at you when you are scarpering around in the buggy.

Hope that answers your question, otherwise let me know.

KP...on the Hotas I have the throttle set at half way as zero speed so reverse is just pulling back from centre.

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 4 years ago.

Thanks for the info Baz I'll have a shufti ... later.

Bit the bullet and shifted lock, stock and barrel over to Amitrite system (Empire) working for Avril Lavigny-Duval. Well the lovely Aisling spurned my advances so I'm now chasing her auntie. Wink

Bhotega was getting a bit run of the mill and too easy to accrue creds as I was allied with all the factions in the roundabout systems so I've sort of gone back to scratch and am busily running around doing missions ... and enjoying it again!

Collared a bargain 15% discount Cutter at Azha (Li Yong-Rui system) 173 million as opposed to 203 million normal price so a bit chuffed I've saved a few bob there. Currently it is docked at Gende (Hi Tek) along with my Anaconda which I am going to gut for parts to fit in the Cutter and then flog it. Never did take to mining much so it won't be missed. Then it's a(nother) round at the engineers. I'm thinking of fitting it with prismatic shields (Probably cost an arm and a leg) but I understand they're 3 X the weight of normal Military shields so I might bin the idea in favour of speed and jump range.

In the meantime ... back to work!

How did the trout fishing go Baz? My grandson (6) caught a cracking 3lb. rainbow in N.Ireland a few weeks back, I hate him! But it did taste delicious, not like these awful factory farmed rubbish, nice pink earthy tasting flesh, and the cat got the roe. It's a wonder he managed to land it without getting dragged into the river. I have a feeling his 'Granda' Joe had a hand in landing it. I'd post a pic but I think Roguey is a bit paranoid about some of the stuff that might get posted up. Probably with good reason in my case. Wink

« 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »

You need to log-in to post here.