What have you been up to in Elite?

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » What have you been up to in Elite?

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 5 years ago.

Anyhoo ... it dangled the carrot and like the donkey I am I bit and bought a Fed Corvette.- SKYDOG1

It's weirdly agile for such a huge ship right? Makes it nice to fly.
- Sinxar

It sails out of the dock serenely like some large ocean going Leviathan. Anyway I've put it to bed for a while so that I can scrape some more klebs together. Outfitting is so expensive these days! Wink

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 5 years ago.

@JayVee
Hi KikkiPitts, if you are in Davis in HIP13644 it's my home station. If I can be of any help you can friend me Cmdr Jake Valent, I'm currently on DW2 with alt account but can spend time to assist. I'm U.K based and online mornings and afternoons
- JayVee

I am at Davis Terminal in Duamta. Does that still work for you? I am on a PC, yes.

I am attempting to move up to the next level in two areas. Having trouble in both areas.

1 - Core Mining - So I finally find a Void Opal asteroid, but after cracking the sucker, I try to send out my little limpets to collect and it says there are "no targets to collect" so I abrase a little then try to release the limpets and again, NO TARGET. Soon I am OUT of limpets and "limpet" back home to reload and try again to see what the hell I am not doing. Video guys are making 130,000,000 and after an hour of finding a good asteroid, I still bollock it up. Is that a proper use of bollock terminology in UK?

2 - Exploring discovering etc., basically Road to Riches using Spansh to set route.
Spent two hours honking at many planets and gas giants etc. to come home and find it was worth about 7,000 credits! So, watched another video on the RtoR went on a new route, spent over 4 hours pinging on planet and solar systems etc using Disc. Scanner, only to come home and find I had a whopping low 230,000 credits! There were a bunch listed in Davis Terminal but in Red under Cartographics and would not cash out. What to do with those?
But I was disappointed as the video I watched the guy spent two hours and made 7,000,000 credits! So, I must be missing a step somewhere.

Thanks for advice on the Fire Groups and Module panel. I yearn for the day when you don't have to stop using your firing tools so your thrusters work and vice versa.

coloured textCommander Kiki Pittscoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured text
Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 5 years ago.

KikiPitts did you try what skydog1 suggested ?

Sure does seem to point to an underpowered PP.

good luck

ps. skydog1 you prob know but Sothis grind is still working !

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am right now composing a checklist for Bounty Hunting and Core Mining...as these are ways to upgrade your income and ships.

Right now I am focused on:
Bounty Hunting sorts of issues for beginners - "Nav Beacons vs. Extraction Sites?" "What is the fastest way to upgrade your Sidewinder and move to the Cobra Mark III where you can increase your income in bounty hunting even more?"

Mining: As I have watched videos one after the other on core mining, each one leaves out something. "What ship is best for core mining when you have limited money?" One never mentioned "You need a Refinery" and another never tells you "How to build your limpet pool plus/minus ways." "How is a prospector limpet different from a collector limpet?" "How to handle a pirate when your mining ship is full of minerals and you are heading home." Exactly "HOW do you sell your cargo load of minerals to the highest market?" E.G. I have a boatload of Void Opals, but my current terminal does not buy them. How do I find, travel to and back, and actually sell the load for the best price?" "How do you get the Alexandrite OUT of the asteroid, and use the Galaxy Map to make the most money and put it in the bank?"

I know to ask these questions because I screwed up over each one, e.g., Finally had built up enough income to buy a Keelback and outfit it to the max, finally found a Void Opal asteroid belt, finally found an actual void Opal asteroid, and discovered that I travelled all the way there only to discover I had no limpets on board. Duplicate same situation to discover upon arrival and blasting the asteroid open that I had no refinery onboard. Too bad you cannot stick a flag in that asteroid and go home, get outfitted again and come back. right to that roid.

But I never quit. I am one of those weirdos who masters something before I leave it...except for psychedelics...had to leave those undone due to the unpredictability of the experience. [In other words, "Just be prepared to be unprepared" is the best way to describe the Preparation Process, so - in other words - the Checklist Mentality is useless.]

Still looking for that mentor who I can just zip a question off to...

coloured textCommander Kiki Pittscoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured textcoloured text
JayVee

JayVee avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

Hi KikiPitts, I can't get onto my main PC account at the moment as there is a problem with Steam launcher. Regarding mining, I haven't used the new system yet I think "down to earth astronomy" has a good video on this and the python seems to be a good ship to use. On my alt account I used the road to riches but didn't surface scan the well paying planets, I could have doubled my earnings if I had. I believe the update next week may help with finding places to sell materials. You can manufacture limpets on board ship if you have the materials, I think it's Nickel and Iron. Limpets are all just limpets, it's all depending on having a prospector controller, a collector limpet controller etc and assigning them to a fire group the controller programes the limpet for the required use.As soon as I can get onto ED through steam I'll head over.

JayVee

JayVee avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

I remembered I didn't need to use steam to launch, I'm outside Davis now send me a friend request next time you're on. What's your cmdr name?

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

KikiPitts did you try what skydog1 suggested ?

Sure does seem to point to an underpowered PP.

good luck

ps. skydog1 you prob know but Sothis grind is still working !

- Bazr

I'm off for a wander around at the moment ... got rid of Moby Dick the great white whale (Fed Corv) Nice ship and plenty of luggage space but it's a bit too sedate for my liking. Gone back to my Krait II and went off to get my beam laser and power dist. upgraded.

Now just bumming about and picking up stuff from the surface or hanging around nav beacons and shooting up the bad guys for their ill-gotten gain ... which of course then become MY ill-gotten gains. I hope the stuff I collect in my SRV is worth something! I must have a ton of iron in bits in the inventory. It must resemble Steptoe's yard down in the hold.

BTW I was watching a vid on acquiring, buying, stealing, meta alloys to upgrade with Farseer, seems the only legit place to get it is in Maia ... something of a camel hike and a 24 man rat pack yomp. I see you can also get them on Thargon worlds where they grow them, by shooting them up and grabbing their offspring. I wonder what the Vegans would make of that! I should report Frontier to PETA! Even cabbages have feelings so the local Swampy tells me. But then I'm an unfeeling brute solely interested in booze and Hochmagandie according to Mein Fuhrer. ;o)

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

Dr.DJ is Commander handle....I jumped to Luyten's Star System - Ashby City. Came here on my first real Mission, to kill a pirate. But could never find him. So sitting at Ashby City thinking what I did wrong.

If anyone is listening....and know how to find someone as instructed to assassinate, let me know your technique. I went to Luyten's Nav Beacon, did scan and no info at all about a pirate named Green. Hung out around the beacon...took down a couple bounties but no pirate named Green showed up in 30 minutes I hung out there. Had to cancel the contract.

Question 2....Fire Panel Blues. Can you tell me how to move to different fire panels?
I can set them but it will never move off A (with the line above and a line below the A) I can move over to b or c or d, but the lines are not there despite all settings being right.
Those will not work. So, I have had to redo Fire Panel A for all different settings...as B, C etc are useless. It is like I am not able to "activate" or select those panels. I can highlight them, set the priorities...but when I fire off anything it is going to be what is on A regardless. If nothing is selected on A then nothing fires at all.

Question 3. I gave up on the Keelback....could only get 16 limpets, not near enough...plus it is a beast to move around amongst tightly packed ice asteroids.

So, I cashed out everything, except Cobra Mark III (might NEVER give that baby up!) and am saving for a better mining ship. Am I correct it should be an Asp Explorer? I have 10,000,000 credits to mess with.

Question 4. Should I be sheepish. Now that I have a decked out fighter and some cash, I am leaving solo play and going into open play for the first time. No idea what to expect. But have left Novice stage and am into Competent a bit.

Should I be "joining" something or just continue to "do my own thing" as an independent?

Enough for now.

Dr. DJ
KiKi Pitts

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

Power Distributor and a Power Plant but do not have a Power Generator. MAybe that is the problem. Where do I get one??? I have the PD up to a 1 and the PP up to a 1. I also do not see where you change it to an "A" - Just 1 - 5 (5 being the lowest, right?) So I have both of them on 1. Is that okay?

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

@SKYDOG1
Those gasping sounds are probably caused by your power module being overworked and failing. If you go over about 98% it'll conk the moment you put up your weapons. 4 on the keyboard check 'modules' Try to A grade your power generator and switch off all non-essentials. Dock Computer, cargo hatch and AFM if you've got one (you should have! It's saved my bacon a few times as I limped home all beaten up)

Anyhoo ... it dangled the carrot and like the donkey I am I bit and bought a Fed Corvette. Took an enormous bite out of my klebs A rating where possible ... but this time I've kept my KraitII in the wardrobe rather than flogging it on. Back to the grind ... klebs to earn! :o)
- SKYDOG1

I dont have a power generator...just a PowerDrive and a Power Distributor....maybe that is the issue! I have both of them set at 1 as I do not see an "A" grade, just 1-5 on Fire Panel.

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

Hi KikiPitts, I can't get onto my main PC account at the moment as there is a problem with Steam launcher. Regarding mining, I haven't used the new system yet I think "down to earth astronomy" has a good video on this and the python seems to be a good ship to use. On my alt account I used the road to riches but didn't surface scan the well paying planets, I could have doubled my earnings if I had. I believe the update next week may help with finding places to sell materials. You can manufacture limpets on board ship if you have the materials, I think it's Nickel and Iron. Limpets are all just limpets, it's all depending on having a prospector controller, a collector limpet controller etc and assigning them to a fire group the controller programes the limpet for the required use.As soon as I can get onto ED through steam I'll head over.

- JayVee

Thanks, JayVee

How and where do you buy Nickel and Iron? How much? Where do you stow it and then when needed have it make more limpets?

KikiPitts

KikiPitts avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

I am heading over to Ramon Hub in G 41-14 to buy an Asp Explorer. I will not quit until I am core mining expert! Anyone know any good ice rings around there?

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

Power Distributor and a Power Plant but do not have a Power Generator. MAybe that is the problem. Where do I get one??? I have the PD up to a 1 and the PP up to a 1. I also do not see where you change it to an "A" - Just 1 - 5 (5 being the lowest, right?) So I have both of them on 1. Is that okay?
- KikiPitts

Sorry, I meant power plant of course, the thing that kicks out the MW to the distributor which doles it out to the various units that need wiggly amps.

Go into 'Outfitting' and click on 'Core internal' ... then click on Power Plant and it will give you a list (if there's any for sale) usually from 'E' rated (lowest) up to 'A' rated (highest) which can usually supply more than enough power to run everything you want to but will cost you an arm an two legs in a large ship. I had to sell my wife and children to white slavers in order to A rate my power plant on the Krait II. But it was worth it!

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 5 years ago.

Big Grin Skydog1 do you have the address of the white slavers for me lol

KP you can tell if you have enough engine power in the bottom of the outfitting screen where it shows power available compared to power used.

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

It was a bloke in Diso. He came on and asked me to sell/kidnap my passengers. Unfortunately, it was more lucrative to transport them to their destination than flog them. Confused

« 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »

You need to log-in to post here.